[SOLVED] Installing multiple programs at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
Sorry for stupid question but, can I install multiple programs at the same time? Say for example I have 3 application exe files on my downloads folder, can I select all 3 and click enter and they will all try to install at the same time? Or PC will only allow one at a time?

Solution
D
Keep your installers in OneDrive or cloud storage so you can get them easy after a wipe and clean install

It is never recommended to install more than one thing at once. Don’t ever do it it’s not worth it
The only time the above caveats would be an issue is if the installer needs to read something from contested areas as part of the install process. As far as I know, installers don't typically "read" things unless it's to check:
  • System requirements
  • If the program already exists (the installer can take one of a few actions from here)
  • If any dependencies already exists (it may skip installing those)
The first one is basically impractical to change on installation. For the last two, it may be possible for there to be issues, but only if they're being uninstalled separately from the app. Uninstalling tends to be a deliberate action as well.

Reactions: nbartolo7
Sorry for stupid question but, can I install multiple programs at the same time? Say for example I have 3 application exe files on my downloads folder, can I select all 3 and click enter and they will all try to install at the same time? Or PC will only allow one at a time?
I doubt anyone can give a yes/no answer.
Might depend on what apps your trying to install.
Since everyone makes backups try it.
If it makes a big hash just spin in your backup and don't do that again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wonder if it depends if any have UAC pop ups, as even if you click install on all 3, if any need permissions they won't install until you click the pop up.

I suspect windows probably sets some order for them to run in, probably make it a job of some sort so it doesn't trip over itself.

I thought answer to question would have been something like this - https://ninite.com/

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
I wonder if it depends if any have UAC pop ups, as even if you click install on all 3, if any need permissions they won't install until you click the pop up.

I suspect windows probably sets some order for them to run in, probably make it a job of some sort so it doesn't trip over itself.

I thought answer to question would have been something like this - https://ninite.com/
Yes ninite is good. But as you know not all programs people use are there, and on a new build it would be nice to have a folder that you backed up from your previous rig that contains all the installs of programs that you often use in every build, and therefore it would save time if you could just enter in that folder, select all, and run them, but I guess it would be too much of a pain, even if it worked. Plus, some programs need you to restart machine right away, so saying no would prob not be a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
i get a new PC every 5 years, the amounts of times I need to reinstall everything again is not very big. 3 times I installed win 10 in 5 years, on the last PC. I haven't had to clean install on current PC.

So my need to have it all in one place is small. I just write down names of programs and reinstall them again. Most of times you need newer versions anyway. You always forget something.

D

Deleted member 14196

Keep your installers in OneDrive or cloud storage so you can get them easy after a wipe and clean install

It is never recommended to install more than one thing at once. Don’t ever do it it’s not worth it

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
i have 1tb of space on Onedrive, everything apart from installers is already on there. It sure made swapping PC last time easy.

Only program I have that falls into the category of already on Onedrive now, is a patch for a game, and I probably could find that online. Most of the time I can get the programs I use now. Only one program didn't survive the change from old PC to new and the reason for that is it doesn't support my hardware. If Speedfan knew what Ryzen CPU were, I might never have swapped to hwinfo.

The Windows installer service can only run one instance at a time. If you try to start a second (third, etc.) you will get a message that an install is already in progress.
I believe that's only if you're using Microsoft's installer libraries.

There's nothing special about installing a program to an OS. The only thing really it needs, if it's being installed for everyone, is elevated permissions for is to write to Program Files and make globally accessible entries in the registry.

I believe that's only if you're using Microsoft's installer libraries.

There's nothing special about installing a program to an OS. The only thing really it needs, if it's being installed for everyone, is elevated permissions for is to write to Program Files and make globally accessible entries in the registry.
Most, if not all of which touch the installer service these days.

Most, if not all of which touch the installer service these days.
I'm going to nitpick here since this is sounding like things people are going to say but don't actually verify.

So I tried launching the installers for Paint.NET, 7-zip, and Firefox at once. They all launched. I also did my best to let Paint.NET and 7-zip run through the actual install process and encountered no real warnings or "hey, something else is going on." Firefox wanted to simply update my existing installation. I think the one-at-a-time installation only applies to .msi files which are Windows Installer based. The above apps do not use a .msi file to install.

D

Deleted member 14196

problem is, you can and often DO have moron's writing installers. so you install 12 at once? big deal? which one was the one that screwed up your windows os install? you can't tell. it's not a good idea, ever.

take it from me, I have about 2 decades of working knowledge regarding creating/debugging installers

guess what? if your stupid windows update is running, then you try running installs, get ready to wait for up to DAYS for it to complete. Still think it's a good idea? I see this crap every day in testing so don't tell me any different please.

7 zip is one of the most primitive installers I have ever seen and tested as well, your test is FLAWED. Install huge apps all at the same time and see what you get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.