Installing My New 850 Evo SSD, But This Time I Need Help!

ampreston85

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2013
Alright, so I received my replacement Samsung 850 Evo today, and plan to install it tomorrow. I posted some rather odd and random problems I had installing this drive the other day, which prompted me to have a replacement sent out. The problems I had can be seen here. The short of it, I plugged in my new Samsung SSD, and my current one which has my OS installed went crazy, and stopped reading, and posted "bootmgr missing" errors. After reseating all cables, along with other trouble shooting mentioned in my other thread, I removed the new Samsung SSD, and bam, the old one began working again, windows installed perfectly and I'm back to square one. One thing I have done since everything has been fixed, was update my bios. Now I have my replacement Samsung SSD and I want to make sure there is nothing I am missing when installing. Steps I should take in the bios, etc to make sure I wasn't the cause of all my problems to begin with hahaha. I appreciate everyone's help! Look forward to your responses.

when installing a new hard drive the steps are fairly simple.

power down your computer
secure your new drive in the tower
plug it in
power on your system
load into your bios
visually confirm your bios detects your new hard drive
check the boot order in the bios, make sure your OS drive is still selected as the main boot device, if it is not, set it to be the main boot device
save and exit your bios
load into windows

then---
if you're on windows 7
hit the windows key
type "create and format" into the search box
select the option "create and format hard disks"
assign your new drive a drive letter
format the drive
-done

windows 8
hit the windows key+s