Question Installing new hard drive in ASUS laptop

Mar 19, 2020
Hi,
I am installing a new hard drive in an ASUS laptop. The drive that failed was a Toshiba 1TB. I purchased a Toshiba 2TB as a replacement. The original hard drive was installed in a metal frame which then screwed down to the inside of the laptop. The new hard drive is a bit thicker than the original so the only way to install it was to just plug it in to the interface but really couldn't secure it the way I think it should be secured in order to resist getting knocked around some. It works fine and no problems but I was wondering if there was some "official" way to secure it within the laptop so it can't move at all. The interface alone appears to hold it ok but I'm thinking that some other fastening would be helpful to keep it from getting damaged if the laptop should fall or knock into something . Although the hard drive physically fit into the metal frame, the pins would not line up as the frame kept the drive up a bit too high within the case. Anyway, if anyone has dealt with a similar issue, please let me know. Thank you.

larry

Mar 19, 2020
Thanks for the advice. Double sided tape sounds like a good idea as opposed to using nothing at all to secure it. My research revealed that all of the 2TB drives were a little bit thicker than the original 1TB drive that I replaced so I didn't find one that was the same size as the original in a 2TB replacement. I suppose I could also fabricate a couple of clips that would screw into the side of the drive in the threaded holes that the frame used and then put a screw into the hole where the frame screwed into. I guess I'll figure something out.