[SOLVED] Installing New RAM ( HELP NEEDED)

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Currently i'm running Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600mhz and i'm ordering same Brand,Voltage,timings e.t.c RAM but 2x8GB. I just want to know do i have to do anything to my System or BIOS before i remove the old RAM and install the new one?

I know how to choose right RAM for my system, also i know how to set correct settings related to RAM in BIOS.

Side question: Both models run in dual channel, will i be able to still get dual channel performance if i add new ones to my mobo without removing old ones? I guess it's motherboard related question ( i have Asrock z75 Pro 3) i'll check the manual, but is it possible generally?

EDIT: This is what my mobo says, i guess i won't be able to run in dual channel mode because my sticks aren't "identical"? i'll have 2x4 and 2x8 GB sticks. See configuration 3

Last edited:
Solution
You should be able to just swap out your old modules for the new ones. DDR3 is usually quite forgiving.

And because ddr3 is quite forgiving at stock speeds, once you have tested your new memory and it is working well, I would try your old memory in the other slots even though it is not recommended. It may still work fine. :)
You should be able to just swap out your old modules for the new ones. DDR3 is usually quite forgiving.

And because ddr3 is quite forgiving at stock speeds, once you have tested your new memory and it is working well, I would try your old memory in the other slots even though it is not recommended. It may still work fine. :)

Reactions: Bach0
Solution

chuda

Commendable
Aug 28, 2017
by identical they mean, same manufacturer, frequency, timings.
amount of ram can vary between pairs
do a1/b1 for ram you have and a2/b2 for ram you getting
and you good to go

Reactions: Bach0

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Thanks for replying, i imagine normal RAM replacement process to be : shut down PC unplug old RAM, insert new one and boot up your PC. What do you mean forgiving, this scares me a bit, is there a recommended way of replacing RAM? Also, by mentioning testing RAM, do you mean to actually test it with some programs or just see how it performs during normal PC usage?