Question Installing open source operating system

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Hi. I am fed up with microsoft bullying using windows 10 [See post Does anyone here use windows 10?]

I tried installing lynux on a computer about 5 years ago. It came to the point were it needed to go on the internet to get updates. That was a brick wall for me. I have a talk talk router and maybe it needs some lynux drivers. PLEASE HELP. I can't take any more of this.

Reactions: OkayRose

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
I havent yet. I am going for a download and I have a choice of 3.
I have downloaded linuxmint-21.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso.torrent. To I rename it linuxmint-21.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso and burn it to DVD using NCH iso burning software?

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
I will do this all next week when I have more time and will probably need your help. How do I burn this to a DVD? I have NCH and nero but this is a .iso.torrent. Does this need totrrent burnning software?

USAFRet

Titan
I will do this all next week when I have more time and will probably need your help. How do I burn this to a DVD? I have NCH and nero but this is a .iso.torrent. Does this need totrrent burnning software?
At the end of the torrent, you should end up with an ISO file.

Assuming Linux Mint Cinnamon a file named thus:
"linuxmint-21.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso"

Rufus can burn that to a DVD or USB.

I just want to add to the enthusiasm: Installations are easier now than they used to be. Especially if it is a case of booting to a live DVD distribution (which runs in RAM but takes a long time to boot from a DVD), and then it lets you try it out prior to clicking the button to install. It should basically "just work", including networking, but you might need to add a driver later for hardware acceleration quality to video. If so, then you'll need to also list which video card you have.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Not sure about
Do be aware of the software differences beyond the Windows vs Linux OS.

All I want to do is write my comedy scripts for theater and possibly the BBC. I need to be able to open word documents and excell documents with an open source equvilant. brows websites and send and receive emails. for now. If there is any obviouse difrences that might affect me then let me know. I still will have a windows 10 laptop incase.

I know that linux servers are faster and more reliable than windows servers. I have my own lynux website and I write code in PHP.

USAFRet

Titan
Not sure about
Do be aware of the software differences beyond the Windows vs Linux OS.

All I want to do is write my comedy scripts for theater and possibly the BBC. I need to be able to open word documents and excell documents with an open source equvilant. brows websites and send and receive emails. for now. If there is any obviouse difrences that might affect me then let me know. I still will have a windows 10 laptop incase.

I know that linux servers are faster and more reliable than windows servers. I have my own lynux website and I write code in PHP.
Word and Excel.

Your current applications of Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel will not work in Linux.

There is a mostly compatible alternative, LibreOffice.
I say 'mostly', because it is NOT 100%. Very close, but not quite.
Writer and Calc are the Libre alternatives for Word and Excel.

Web browsers, email? No problem.

USAFRet

Titan
I changed it to FreeDOS and that allowed me to format. There is no search for file in the image I showed you. I only have Drive properties and Format options.
In Select, what options does it give you?
Es4uDfr.jpg

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Mine is not a select button to select a file. Mine is a drop down box with [Select | Download]

Your's would not be a drop down list. It would be a button that opens up another window to select a file and there would be a long text box to show the selected file. That's how it works in windows.

USAFRet

Titan
Mine is not a select button to select a file. Mine is a drop down box with [Select | Download]

Your's would not be a drop down list. It would be a button that opens up another window to select a file and there would be a long text box to show the selected file. That's how it works in windows.
I am in Windows...Win 11.
vL8xlbG.jpg

Clicking the 'Select' button simply opens File Explorer, allowing me to navigate to where the ISO may live.

hiRh48e.jpg

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
That is very strange. You have a button, I have a drop down list box. I am using windows 10 / 64 but that shouldent make any diffrence.

I will have to leave this untill tomorrow. My laptop dosn't have a DVD drive.

TRENDING THREADS