Installing OS on New System

jsgrant31

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Hi all,

So this is a follow up to my thread on building my first system. Everything is assembled. My last component (the CPU fan) should arrive today, and I'll install the CPU and the fan and it should be good to turn on.

I want to install Windows 8.1 Pro on a SSD. I can get it free through my uni, so I just want to download the iso, put it on a flash drive, make the usb bootable, and install it that way.

Here's where I've read some conflicting things about what to do. When I go to the website to download 8.1, it says

"Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional Upgrade 32/64-bit (Multilanguage) (Student Option) "

I also have the option of Windows 8 Pro and Windows 7 Ultimate, but they all say the same thing in terms of "upgrade" and "student option." I don't think the "student option" matters, but I've read that when installing an OS onto a new computer (at least for 8.1), upgrade versions don't work.

So I figured I would just do Windows 8 and upgrade via the MS store, but it also says "upgrade."

Can anyone shed some light on this? Are my three options not meant to be put on brand new systems, or am I fine with just downloading the 8.1?

Thank you.

d359233drdrbcom

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Why waste so much money on an os? I would get better hardware for that instead.
The only reason for Windows is gaming otherwise Linux is better and gets better the more you learn it

You can get a free genuine legal win 8.1 enterprise copy here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/evalcenter/hh699156.aspx

iYou can extend the 90 day trial with slmgr /rearm in cmd prompt 3 times (run as admin) thisa means extra 270 days. There is a registry hack that adds you extra slmgr /rearm uses. It is free legal :D cuz it came with the os

jsgrant31

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
I've used Linux before and I think I would like it more than Windows, but I do want to be able to game. I know there are ways to game on Linux, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with the hassle.

d359233drdrbcom

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014

yeah I would just game on Windows cuz its easier and better driver etc support its much easier anyway.

The trial i linked to is enterprise the best edition cuz they didnt make ultimate