Installing OS on SSD - What to do with my HDD's OS?

Clouding

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016
I'm going to install a fresh OS on my new SSD, when I've doen that and set boot priority what will happen with the OS that is on my HDD (going to keep it in he pc and not gonna wipe it clean) do i need to delete something or would it automatically detect it and erase it from the HDD?

Solution
As long as you set your boot priority correctly the new drive should ignore the data on the other drive.

However should you want to access it you can simply map the drive in disk management on the new OS on the SSD to gain access to all of the files, whilst still booting from the SSD.

Daniel Woodward

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
As long as you set your boot priority correctly the new drive should ignore the data on the other drive.

However should you want to access it you can simply map the drive in disk management on the new OS on the SSD to gain access to all of the files, whilst still booting from the SSD.

Solution

Clouding

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016

So i have to "turn on" my HDD in the disk management before i can see/download my files?

Daniel Woodward

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014

Yes you have to go to the disk management page, (Windows 10 Right Click the start button, click disk management) and then once you are there you should be able to assign a drive letter to the old windows volume. Just ensure that when you are installing the OS on the SSD you do not format the old HDD to keep all of your data safe.

Hope this Helps.

Daniel Woodward

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014

Yes you have to go to the disk management page, (Windows 10 Right Click the start button, click disk management) and then once you are there you should be able to assign a drive letter to the old windows volume. Just ensure that when you are installing the OS on the SSD you do not format the old HDD to keep all of your data safe.

Hope this Helps.

Clouding

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016

Thank you so much for the help :)

Clouding

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016

I've installed my new OS on my SSD and set the boot priority to my SSD #1 and my HDD #2 but my pc still boots off of the old OS, and when looking in disk management it says that on my SSD it's only a recovery, but as soon as i unplug my HDD and boot only with my SSD in it says it's the active and displays this (System, Active, Primary partition)

Clouding

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016
I'm currently botted in on my SSD, running windows and everything, I've installed all drivers needed(didn't download any drivers the other times).
Should i now be good to go, like shut off connect HDD?