Installing PCIe GPU, no click!

thuskeld

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
I'm building a new system with these specs:
_Cooler Master 430 Elite ATX Midtower
_ASUS Sabertooth X79 MoBo
_Intel i7 3820 CPU
_VisionTek's version of the AMD Radeon HD 7870 (2 Gig)
_8 GB RAM (2x4)
_Corsair H50 CPU cooling
_etc.

I mention the case because I'm thinking it may be part of the problem. I'm trying to install the graphics "card" today, and this being the first time I've installed a PCIe card (haven't built my own computer in about 10 years), I thought I should look around for videos and such. All of them mention a click, and it's a pretty noticeable one, that should indicate a successful installation. I do not hear this. The bracket seems flush with the case, and the latch on the PCIe slot seems closed snugly over the card's interface with the MoBo. Should I be concerned about this? Should I risk testing it out when my CPU cooling unit arrives tomorrow?

Solution
If you look closely where the video card gets plugged into the PCIe socket, you will see where the latch hooks into.

The *snap* is a sound you 'Sometimes' hear when the latch fits into this spot. There may not always be a snap sound to look out for, all you need to make sure of is that the card looks like it fits correctly, and that the latch is properly nestled inside of this clip.

The way you describe seems like everything went perfectly fine, just there is no sound. It is perfectly safe to continue.

twelve25

Distinguished
THe card just needs to be fully seated in the PCIe slot from end to end. Usually there is a little tooth at one end to hold down the end of the card in the slot. But really there isn't normally any sound associated with seating a card. If it looks like it's in there all the way and evenly, it probably is.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
^ this. And your fine to go ahead and give it a test run. IF not installed properly it will simply not turn on. I have a feeling that you've got it good thou ;). Always better to be safe and ask first.

*edit* Re reading i see your cooler comes tomorrow. IF you have the stock cooler go ahead and test. If not wait for the cooler.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
If you look closely where the video card gets plugged into the PCIe socket, you will see where the latch hooks into.

The *snap* is a sound you 'Sometimes' hear when the latch fits into this spot. There may not always be a snap sound to look out for, all you need to make sure of is that the card looks like it fits correctly, and that the latch is properly nestled inside of this clip.

The way you describe seems like everything went perfectly fine, just there is no sound. It is perfectly safe to continue.

Solution

thuskeld

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009

The little divot, for lack of a better word, separating the two halves of the pins (if that makes any sense at all) doesn't seem to be completely into the slot, but I'm unsure if that's an issue.

Huge relief to hear that. Thanks!

Thanks a lot.

Thank you all for responding. I really appreciate the multiple, corroborating responses!