Installing PCIe Network Adapter ( TP-LINK AC1900) Causes Screen to Freeze

Nerevarmeme

Commendable
Dec 19, 2016
So I bought the TP-LINK AC1900 PCIe wireless network adapter and I just installed it to a PCIe slot. I use the disc to install the driver as i was told in the instructions that came with the box. Once I run the autorun I am prompted to either install driver & utility or see the user guide. I click on install driver & utility. It takes quite a while to load then I get the "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?" and I say yes. then the install wizard pops up and I get asked do I want to install the drivers and once again I say yes. Then comes the problem. It starts installing but when the green bar gets to the end my screen freezes.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution
Just had the same exact issue. Windows 8.1 fully patched. Tried various "fixes" to no avail. will post them here as they worked for somebody somewhere:

Install AC 1900 -> run drivers from cd -> freezes computer
--
Install AC 1900 -> download latest drivers from TP-Link (doesn't have an exe to run just .dll's) -> install drivers from device manager (select downloaded location and proper folder) -> freezes computer (windows installer freezes in about 4 seconds vs tp-link software's 4min - interesting)

Driver download:
http://www.tp-link.com/lk/download/Archer-T9E.html#Driver
--
Install AC 1900 in a different PCI slot (new motherboard, but to be sure) -> repeat above -> freezes computer
--
Remove AC 1900 -> Install drivers from cd ->...

Diehardcj

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
I would try downloading the drivers from their website directly to make sure they're up to date. Could be old drivers on the disc that's having compatibility issues. Either that or try updating through device manager possibly.

Veliks

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

I tried updating through the device manager but it can't find any new drivers. On their website I have no idea where to find the right drivers, does anyone here know where?

will_popetech

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017
Just had the same exact issue. Windows 8.1 fully patched. Tried various "fixes" to no avail. will post them here as they worked for somebody somewhere:

Install AC 1900 -> run drivers from cd -> freezes computer
--
Install AC 1900 -> download latest drivers from TP-Link (doesn't have an exe to run just .dll's) -> install drivers from device manager (select downloaded location and proper folder) -> freezes computer (windows installer freezes in about 4 seconds vs tp-link software's 4min - interesting)

Driver download:
http://www.tp-link.com/lk/download/Archer-T9E.html#Driver
--
Install AC 1900 in a different PCI slot (new motherboard, but to be sure) -> repeat above -> freezes computer
--
Remove AC 1900 -> Install drivers from cd -> can't install without card present
--
Remove AC 1900 -> Install drivers from website (r-click on .inf file in folder) -> driver installs successfully within seconds -> shutdown -> Install AC 1900 -> computer froze up immediately after logging in. (3-5 seconds)
--
Disabled LAN utility in BIOS -> freeze
--
Performed a system restore before any related drivers were attempted and reinstall using various of the above -> freeze
--
Attempted driver install with windows generic drivers -> device manager cannot find them
--
Boot into safe mode with networking to check for driver conflicts -> freeze
--
Returned AC 1900 for a refund -> This worked for me.

Reactions: gluk47
Solution
Nov 19, 2019
I've tried several other instructions, but yours is the only one that works, thank you.

For the reference: I tried Windows 7 and kUbuntu 18.04 .. 19.10 with default driver and the one from ubuntu-drivers (that is bcm-kernel-sources). The result is pretty much the same: there is some conflict in memory maps, then failed IRQs and, depending on the port number, either a working wi-fi for a minute then nothing, or HDD read errors. I tried all three available PCI-e 1x and 16x ports.

Since I failed to find IRQ remap in my UEFI and is not eager to do it in the Linux kernel, your solution (refund) looks just perfect.