Installing Photoshop 7.0 on WIN8

sandy2470

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
I am having a problem installing Adobe Photoshop 7.0 (I know it's old but want to keep for now) on WIN8. It will sometimes start installation then just hang. Most of the time I hit setup and it nothing pops up at all. I've tried all compatibility modes. Co-worker has his running no problems, same OS. I have the same program running on my WIN7 no issues. I've tried downloading it via remote from my other computer, bluetoothing the files over, copying it onto the HD etc. Nothing is working, I've searched online everywhere and can't find a solution.

Also states on Microsoft site that the program is compatible with WIN8 (as well as 8.1)

I am running WIN8 on a Toshiba Qosmio x875 if that is of any help.

Thanks so much in advance, this is really driving me nuts!

Paul Berendsohn

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014
I know this is an old thread but since I had the same problem and solved it, I thought it might help someone else. Go to the "Action Center", then choose Compatibility Troubleshooting, then "Not Listed" and browse to the exe file for PS. Select "Recommended Settings" and wait. A long time... probably took ten minutes. Then you MUST choose "Test These Settings" and again wait a longgg time. Probably took over half an hour and lots of CD chugging but it worked. I had previously tried everything I could find and was about to give up.

BTW, it was claimed in many places that it won't work on a drive over a TB but mine is 1TB and as far as I can tell, no issues.

Hope this helps someone else...

ChairmanSaab

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2013
@paul I tried, but no luck! Setup.exe doesn't show up at all! I tried all the possible method like , run as administrator, change resolution , compabilty, test the program like you said. Almost all through trouble shooter. I've Windows 8 on sammy lappy. 1 TB samsung Harddrive. I love A PS 7.0 so much, please help! It was working fine on my windows 7 laptop but i died.

ChairmanSaab

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2013
@paul I tried, but no luck! Setup.exe doesn't show up at all! I tried all the possible method like , run as administrator, change resolution , compabilty, test the program like you said. Almost all through trouble shooter. I've Windows 8 on sammy lappy. 1 TB samsung Harddrive. I love A PS 7.0 so much, please help! It was working fine on my windows 7 laptop but i died.

aliceray

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014

10-7-14: This method was spot on! It took several tries and the patience you described. I too was ready to give up. I left "Test These Settings" running overnight on my Windows 8 system w/a 1TB drive. By morning the screen to enter my name and product key were active. Thank you for your time and consideration to enter this resolution.

Jason Ball

Reputable
Nov 26, 2014
The solution above didn't work for me, but I found a quicker solution to the problem, which is to install in Safe Mode.
The easiest way to boot into Safe Mode in Windows 8/8.1 is to run "msconfig" and select "Safe boot" in the Boot tab.
Photoshop 7 installed in seconds on a 512GB SSD, and works perfectly in Windows 8.1.

steve2k2

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014

Thank you so much for the idea. I cannot believe it, but it worked flawlessly. You da man.

Wolfgang_Schau

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015
I had the same problem, the installer started, but nothing happened.
Here is the solution: You have to add the location from where you install to the trusted locations. Open Word, go ->file ->Options->Trust Center->Trust Center Settings->Trusted Locations. There you can add a folder where the install files are located as trusted location and it will install.

Jul 19, 2019
I found a faster solution to the installer hang, open TaskManager, click on Details tab, scroll down to Setup.exe, right click on AnalyzeWaitChain, then if it lists a program stop that program. In my case I had to do that twice, stopping 2 programs, then the install continued and successfully completed.