Question Installing preowned CPU

zak.littlechild

Commendable
Aug 11, 2018
Hey guys, so recently I got a 4690k given to me by a good friend to upgrade my i5-4460.

Now I have never done a CPU installation myself but have seen it many times in videos and am confident enough to do it.

So to get to the point. I wasnt quite sure if it is simply plug and play? Once installed is there anything I need to do before going back to using my pc as I did? And if so what?

Many thanks in advance

zak.littlechild

Commendable
Aug 11, 2018
Updated my bios to the latest (had a mini heart attack as it did the press f1 to boot into bios) but after literally saving and exiting that we are all good. Now to just wait for the CPU I guess

Just remember that ZIF means Zero Insertion Force - if, when installing the new CPU, you feel ANYTHING that offers the SLIGHTEST resistance, do NOT power through! It should just fall into place and the retention plate + lever should only require more than a feather's touch at the very end of the course.
After that, it's a matter of cleanliness : make sure you've cleaned up your older CPU before you unseat it (it's easier) and then that the mounting bracket is clean before you put the new CPU (which should be cleaned up too).
The best way to clean this stuff up is to use paper handkerchiefs or soft fabric. Avoid liquids and cleaning products that may leave a deposit.
When mounting the CPU cooler back, make sure that it's been cleaned of all leftover used paste and don't put too much new paste : a pea sized drop in the middle of the CPU will do the trick.

zak.littlechild

Commendable
Aug 11, 2018
BTW - this is not a significant upgrade.
Those cpus are almost identical. The only difference being 11% higher turbo boost clock for i5-4690k and capability for OC.
Without doing OC, you probably even won't be able to notice any difference.

I know its not a huge upgrade, but is still slightly better, and has OC potential.

Just remember that ZIF means Zero Insertion Force - if, when installing the new CPU, you feel ANYTHING that offers the SLIGHTEST resistance, do NOT power through! It should just fall into place and the retention plate + lever should only require more than a feather's touch at the very end of the course.
After that, it's a matter of cleanliness : make sure you've cleaned up your older CPU before you unseat it (it's easier) and then that the mounting bracket is clean before you put the new CPU (which should be cleaned up too).
The best way to clean this stuff up is to use paper handkerchiefs or soft fabric. Avoid liquids and cleaning products that may leave a deposit.
When mounting the CPU cooler back, make sure that it's been cleaned of all leftover used paste and don't put too much new paste : a pea sized drop in the middle of the CPU will do the trick.

Got my cleaning stuff and paste all ready to go ^^, Just I wasn't sure about the whole process after this, like is my computer just gunna boot up the first time and be like hey nice new CPU lets go!, or will it make me do something in the BIOS e.t.c

Got my cleaning stuff and paste all ready to go ^^, Just I wasn't sure about the whole process after this, like is my computer just gunna boot up the first time and be like hey nice new CPU lets go!, or will it make me do something in the BIOS e.t.c
The system will most likely notice a CPU change and notify you of a hardware change asking you to enter bios from the button it lists on screen (usually F1.) From there, you should be able to just press F10 to save and exit which will automatically reboot the system and load into Windows. If it doesn't reboot and load Windows, something could be wrong in the bios like an SSD/HDD having it's boot order changed for some reason.

Reactions: zak.littlechild

zak.littlechild

Commendable
Aug 11, 2018
The system will most likely notice a CPU change and notify you of a hardware change asking you to enter bios from the button it lists on screen (usually F1.) From there, you should be able to just press F10 to save and exit which will automatically reboot the system and load into Windows. If it doesn't reboot and load Windows, something could be wrong in the bios like an SSD/HDD having it's boot order changed for some reason.

Thanks a bunch ^^ was so worried it would make me change settings in the BIOS that I wouldnt understand/ have a clue what I was doing

Thanks a bunch ^^ was so worried it would make me change settings in the BIOS that I wouldnt understand/ have a clue what I was doing
When in doubt, simply clean the CMOS using the CLR_CMOS jumper on the motherboard, or pop the battery for a minute - this will reset your motherboard to default settings, I'd recommend you do that anyway : it's a good idea when changing CPU and/or RAM.

zak.littlechild

Commendable
Aug 11, 2018
When in doubt, simply clean the CMOS using the CLR_CMOS jumper on the motherboard, or pop the battery for a minute - this will reset your motherboard to default settings, I'd recommend you do that anyway : it's a good idea when changing CPU and/or RAM.
So good news is, im posting this from the upgraded CPU PC, however I was told on another forum, first thing first, CPU-Z stress test it, but I have no idea what im doing, how long I let it run, what the numbers mean etc, any help on that front? :D

LGA sockets aren't ZIF since they lack anything to actually insert in the first place. You just drop the CPU on the bed of nails in the correct orientation and close the retention latch on top to apply contact pressure.
However am4 is ZIF.
So good news is, im posting this from the upgraded CPU PC, however I was told on another forum, first thing first, CPU-Z stress test it, but I have no idea what im doing, how long I let it run, what the numbers mean etc, any help on that front? :D
Good to hear. The cpuz stress test is just to make sure there are no issues with the new cpu and make sure you have no overheating.

Usually the mobo clears cmos automatically when inserting new cpu, but some don't.