Installing ssd+hdd on to motherboard

4mana77

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
Hello! I'm really new at building pc's so i need some help.
What i have:

• Asus Z97-Pro Gamer (s1150, Intel Z97, PCI-Ex16) - this motherboard
    Kingston SSDNow UV300 240GB 2.5" SATAIII TLC (SUV300S37A/240G) - this SSD
    Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm 64MB WD10EZEX 3.5 SATA III
    - this HDD

I want to install it and use together on my pc. I've previously read all i could find on how to do it.
Connect the SSD first and install windows there, after that connect the HDD to the motherboard(or should i connect it to the ssd?)

The problem im having is that i dont know what cables i should use and were should i connect what. I've read that i will be using SATA 3 cables for SSD and HDD but how do i connect it and how do the cables look like? Can you help me out? Also i'm not sure i have all the cables i need with the motherboard.

Update: I just found 2 bags with 2 SATA cables in each from inside my motherboard box.

Solution
You really do want to only have the SSD plugged in when installing Windows. Windows will do some funny things and install a boot partition or something to the HDD (if connected).

neieus

Distinguished
You can have them both installed at the same time. All you'll need to do is when windows ask where windows is to be installed you choose the correct drive. I think the only reason you'd see suggestions to install the SSD first is to eliminate any confusion when asked to choose during setup.

As for the cables as long as both drives are SATA and at this point pretty much everything is then they are all the same.

gergguy

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
You really do want to only have the SSD plugged in when installing Windows. Windows will do some funny things and install a boot partition or something to the HDD (if connected).

Solution