Installing SSD on old PC, AHCI or IDE?

phyrephox

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
My current PC is pretty old and runs legacy BIOS and set to IDE mode. My mobo is a GA-P35-DS3R. I've never installed my own SSD before, and have been using standard HDD platter drives. I currently have several HDDs I'm using as storage and run some programs off of. I want to do a fresh install of Windows 7 with this new SSD and wonder if it's a good idea to switch to AHCI mode. Thoughts?

Also, if I do switch to AHCI mode:

1. Will my other storage HDD drives be accessible when in AHCI mode?
2. Should I disconnect my other drives before installing the new SSD and installing Windows 7? (I read somewhere that I should do this)

Thanks for the help!

Thanks!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, use AHCI if available in BIOS since you are doing a clean install of the OS. (1) The storage drive should not matter. (2) To be sure that the boot sector doesn't get written to the wrong drive, it is best to unplug the data cable to other drives until the OS is installed. Here is a guide that may help you:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

(you can probably scroll down to "The installation of Windows 7!" and begin there if you don't feel like reading all the prep talk.)

phyrephox

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010

Thanks for the guide, clutchc!

Does it matter if SSD and current storage drives will be on same SATA controller after install? By that, I mean if they are on the same strip of SATA cable.

Here's a screenshot of my BIOS. I'm not sure which ones I should change.

Screenshot%202016-07-25%2013.41.39.png

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Don't confuse the SATA data cable with the SATA power cable. The power cable is on a stringer daisy-chained with other connectors. Use any one you want. The data cable is an independent cable that runs from the drive to an individual SATA data header on the m/b.

Click on the top item that is highlighted in your screen shot. (SATA Mode) It should offer you options of IDE, AHCI, RAID, or some combination thereof. Choose the one that contains AHCI.

phyrephox

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification and bios help. I would have totally changed to 'Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode' if I hadn't asked since it also has an option to switch to AHCI.

I'm also considering partitioning the SSD into two parts. One for the OS, and others for applications. Would this be the right approach? or should I install applications on a regular HDD?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I may have to renege on my original comment. It may indeed be the 'Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode' option. Not being there to actually open the options and see what they offer puts me at a disadvantage. And in my haste, I didn't look down the list to see that other option offered. The SATA mode option is usually at the top of the selection list, so I went with it.

Open each and tell me what they say.

You can partition the SSD if you want, but I see no reason too. The OS installation is designed to handle apps in its partition. No sense making it more confusing that necessary. When you go to install an app, just make the installation location choice at that time. On my SSD/HDD builds I usually leave the SSD as one partition. The OS, browser, drivers, virus pgms, and other regularly used stuff goes on it, everything else on the HDD in a folder I label 'Programs'.

phyrephox

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Partitioning tips make sense. I guess I have an irrational fear of losing the data from installed applications if I ever have to format the OS since they're on the same SSD. But, Id have to reinstall everything anyways regardless.

Here are all the options from that screenshot that mention AHCI, IDE, and RAID.

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode
Choose SATA mode:

• [Disabled] - Disable both RAID/AHCI function
    [RAID] - Enable SATA as RAID function
    [AHCI] - Enable SATA as AHCI Function

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode

• [Enabled] - SATA Port0-3 Work at Native IDE Mode
    [Disabled] SATA Port0-3 Work at Legacy IDE Mode

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode

• [IDE] - SATA ports work as IDE mode
    [AHCI] - SATA ports work as AHCI mode
    [RAID/IDE] - SATA ports work as RAID mode and IDE ports work as IDE mode

Thanks so much!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I would set them both to AHCI. It appears that they both accomplish the same thing. I have never seen SATA mode selections divided up in so many categories before.

As for the middle selection, I guess I would choose native.