Installing ubuntu on different drive - Dual boot

Jupiteralappat

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Hi experts!
I have a question for you. I am planning to install Ubuntu in my laptop. I have already Windows 7 installed on it. Have made 3 drives - C: (Where windows is installed) - D:(My documents and data) E: (Where I want to install Ubuntu)...So How do I install Ubuntu on E: drive .. I want the dual booting in that way..Is that possible ?

Solution
That's possible. Boot from the Ubuntu install disk and select what is now E: to install to. If it is already formatted it will have to be reformatted since Ubuntu uses a different sort of file system (Ext4 for Ubuntu vs NTFS for Windows). When you boot you should start to see a menu with a choice between Ubuntu and Windows.
That's possible. Boot from the Ubuntu install disk and select what is now E: to install to. If it is already formatted it will have to be reformatted since Ubuntu uses a different sort of file system (Ext4 for Ubuntu vs NTFS for Windows). When you boot you should start to see a menu with a choice between Ubuntu and Windows.

Solution

Jupiteralappat

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Thanks for your quick response SchizTech.. You mean to say that when I install Ubuntu I get 3 options- Install along side , Something else etc... here I should select Something else right?