Installing Win 10 from USB drive on Dell Latitude 5580 laptop

vlad03

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
Hello,

I am trying to install Windows 10 on a Dell Latitude 5580 laptop that has Linux pre-installed.
I'm using a bootable 8GB USB drive made with Rufus. I have selected GPT and FAT32 in Rufus.
BIOS settings: I tried with Secure Boot OFF, UEFI OFF and Legacy ON. Also tried other combinations before this. I have even set Fastboot to "thorough".

On boot menu (F12), when I explicitly select the USB drive, I get the following error message: "Selected boot device failed. Press any key yo reboot the system."

What am I doing wrong? Or maybe the configuration is alright and it's something wrong with the flash drive? (even though I also "checked device for bad blocks" in Rufus)

Thank you.

Solution
first of all, if you're installing win10 you NEED UEFI turned on. win 10 will turn secure boot on by itself. turn off legacy, you need your drives in ACHI mode

rufus should have made it properly, might be a bad drive

If you use Rufus with options GPT/Fat32, then you have to install in UEFI mode - UEFI On, Legacy Off.
To install in Legacy mode (UEFI Off, Legacy On), use Rufus with options MBR/Ntfs.

TRENDING THREADS