[SOLVED] Installing Windows 10 USB into SSD, Error keeps telling me to reboot with a bootable device.

Feb 9, 2019
Hello all,

Recently I built my first computer and I have been stuck trying to install windows 10. I had downloaded windows 10 through the media tool onto my usb and installed it onto my SSD. However, whenever I boot up my SSD without the usb inside the computer, it gives the error saying I need to insert a bootable device. I've tried tons of solutions i found online such as turning off fast boot, disabling the secure boot, and setting the boot option priorities to the SSD in the bios. I've been stuck on this problem for about a week and I would appreciate any help I can get.

Computer specs
-AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Processor
-Noctua NH-D9L CPU Cooler
-Crucial MX500 1TB SATA M.2 internal SSD
-Sandisk SSD 120 GB
-Asus B450M-Plus Motherboard
-Seasonic M12II EVO 620 Power Supply
-G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8GB) desktop memory
-AMD Radeon RX 580

Solution
Use these steps to install windows. The key items for your system are to enable UEFI mode and have only the install drive attached/enabled--the ssd in this case.

Create an up to date USB install media by following the steps outlined here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Then disconnect or disable all hdd /ssd drives but the one where you will install windows.

Insert the USB media tool, with the windows install files, into the board. Next, startup and go to the board setup and ensure the board is configured to use UEFI boot settings, that CSM is enabled and that SATA mode set to AHCI.

On the motherboard boot device menu, select the command that identifies both the firmware mode and the device. For...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What drives were connected when you installed Windows? If more than just the SSD, sometimes the boot partition can end up on a secondary drive resulting in a 'no boot' scenario.

What are you selecting as boot priority #1? While common sense dictates you'd want your SSD model selected as #1, on some boards the option you actually want to select is "windows boot manager" (or similar, not 100% on the naming scheme).

Beyond that, please post your full system specs.

Feb 9, 2019

My M.2 and SSD were the only ones connected when I was installing windows. Currently I have my boot options priorities set to the sata SSD as the number one option and the M.2 as the second option. I'm not too sure if the bios offers me a windows boot manager option, under the priorities is the option to set it to M.2, SSD, or disable. There is a windows UEFI mode option under the OS type option in the boot/secure tab if thats something similar. Currently the OS type is set to other OS.

Use these steps to install windows. The key items for your system are to enable UEFI mode and have only the install drive attached/enabled--the ssd in this case.

Create an up to date USB install media by following the steps outlined here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Then disconnect or disable all hdd /ssd drives but the one where you will install windows.

Insert the USB media tool, with the windows install files, into the board. Next, startup and go to the board setup and ensure the board is configured to use UEFI boot settings, that CSM is enabled and that SATA mode set to AHCI.

On the motherboard boot device menu, select the command that identifies both the firmware mode and the device. For example, select UEFI: USB Drive or Windows Boot Manager: USB and list that device in the first boot slot on the board.

Reboot. Install begins.

When choosing an installation type, select Custom. On new disks, the drive will show a single area of unallocated space. If there are partitions, select each one and then "delete".

Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows detects that the PC was booted into UEFI mode, partitions the drive using the GPT and begins the installation.

NOTE: Any data on the drive will be lost

Solution