Question Installing Windows on a new SSD ?

May 18, 2024
Hello! I just bought a new 1TB Samsung 990 Pro M.2 SSD for my computer. I’m currently using a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, which has various files on it (OS, game files, pictures, programs, etc.).
Current Setup:
  • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X99
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
  • RAM: 32GB
Questions:

1. Backup: Is it wise to back up the most important files on another storage unit or cloud storage, or is it possible to access the old SSD after installing Windows on the new M.2 SSD?​

2. Installation: What is the best way to install Windows on the new SSD? Do I need to change any BIOS settings, and should I disconnect the old SSD during the installation process?​
Thanks for your help!​

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

1| Yes!
2| Fabricate your bootable USB installer for your OS, make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard, then drop in your SSD, then proceed with installing the OS. Disconnect all drives except for the one you intend to install the OS on.

Just an FYI, the M.2 slot on your board will operate at PCIe 3.0x4 speeds, if you plan to migrate the drive to something more concurrent later down the road, then you're good.

Reactions: TorshovG
May 18, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

1| Yes!
2| Fabricate your bootable USB installer for your OS, make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard, then drop in your SSD, then proceed with installing the OS. Disconnect all drives except for the one you intend to install the OS on.

Just an FYI, the M.2 slot on your board will operate at PCIe 3.0x4 speeds, if you plan to migrate the drive to something more concurrent later down the road, then you're good.

Thanks for the warm welcome and the helpful advice!

I have a few questions that came to mind when reading your answer:

1. Latest BIOS version: How do I check if I have the latest BIOS version? Do I do this when entering BIOS on startup?
  2. PCIe 3.0x4 speeds: What does this mean? Is it just that my motherboard is older and not up to date with current speeds?
Thanks again for your help!

Hello! I just bought a new 1TB Samsung 990 Pro M.2 SSD for my computer. I’m currently using a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, which has various files on it (OS, game files, pictures, programs, etc.).
Current Setup:
  • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X99
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
  • RAM: 32GB
Questions:

1. Backup: Is it wise to back up the most important files on another storage unit or cloud storage, or is it possible to access the old SSD after installing Windows on the new M.2 SSD?​

2. Installation: What is the best way to install Windows on the new SSD? Do I need to change any BIOS settings, and should I disconnect the old SSD during the installation process?​
Thanks for your help!​
Look into the samsung migration tool see if that will do what you want.
Nice and simple.

Reactions: TorshovG
May 18, 2024
Look into the samsung migration tool see if that will do what you want.
Nice and simple.
Thanks! Don't think I need any migration tool, as I see this as an opportunity for a fresh start!

Just need to know if my current SSD will be accessible after the new one is installed?

But thanks for the tip!

falcon291

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2019