Reputable
Sep 29, 2015
Hello everyone,

Today, I am about to buy a used server pc with the following specs-
Xeon E3 1240 3.3Ghz
Ram- 16 GB ECC ddr3
Motherboard chipset- Intel q67
Graphics card.
3 500GB hard drives in raid configuration.

So, This person has ubuntu installed on the system to show that it works. I asked him if he can install windows OS on it since I am not familiar with ubuntu. He said that he could not install windows on it, and is suspecting bios problem, or ram configuration problems. For this reason he also decreased the price in half. Now, In this reduced price I can probably buy better motherboard if any such board exists under $200

My question is that if I buy that server machine, will I eventually be able to install windows on it, or is it not possible to use such machine with windows OS?

A quick answer would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

My guess is he didn't want to buy the key putting more money in the machine. Basically the 1240 is a Sandy Bridge i7 but most ending in zero have none working gpu part. It shouldn't have any problem installing windows.

HarshNE

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015
Thank you for your quick response. I am glad to hear that windows can be installed on that server machine. I hope he just made some silly mistake trying to install OS. If the see that machine running ubuntu, will it be safe to assume that components of the machine are good?

You can install windows without a key it just gives you a 30 day trial before you have to enter one.

As for installing a desktop on a server board you will need to get more information as to what board it is not just the chipset.

Im in the process of researching installing windows 7 on a HP DL380 server, it can be done but there are hoops you have to jump through in order for it to work.

Im guessing this guy is running into the same issues if that is a server board, desktop OS's aren't really made for server boards, the drivers just aren't there for them. That is why he probably has Ubuntu installed on it.

HarshNE

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015
Thank you very much for the information. Actually, when I asked him to install windows, I wrote that 30 day trial should be fine just to show that machine works in windows OS. Unfortunately, he did not post exact motherboard model, but from the pictures of the machine I was able to find the motherboard. There are only 3 intel motherboards with q 67 chipset i believe, and one mached the pictures just fine. It was DQ67SW.

Thank you for the answers Elbert and Faalin. Thanks. I appreciate the quick help.

so checking intels webpage it does support windows 7, not sure what that guys issue was trying to install it.

For windows 8 it states "Drivers are available, but support is limited due to discontinuance of board or OS" and doesnt even show anything for 8.1

HarshNE

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015
Guys, I got the machine, and it's running ubuntu. Unfortunately, I just lost ubuntu while trying to install windows. I wanted to do a fresh install, and got an error in the middle of installation. Now, I started running memtest, and it is scaring me; just a few minutes of testing gave 60k errors.
How do I upload a picture to show you guys what's happening.

Try removing one stick of ram and retest. If it gives errors try replacing it and removing another. Do this until you get all the bad sticks out. Now the good thing is it uses ddr3 so its pretty cheap to get good new ram. Can you confirm which motherboard?

HarshNE

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015
I did, and it would appear that 1 stick is still ok. I will try installing windows again once the testing passes 100%

HarshNE

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015
I had you guys misleading information about ram because it was from the advertisement. The ram modules are non-ecc CMY16GX3M2A cl9 1600.

Yup I already know when I looked up the motherboard and linked the windows drivers. The motherboard holds upto 32GB's.

HarshNE

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015
Sorry about the wrong info. I am glad to hear that you knew about the wrong information.

Ok, I was able to install windows OS after removing the bad ram. Thank you very much guys.
It is strange that this is my 2nd PC I bought used, and the 1st one I bought also had same problem; one out of two ram sticks was bad.

Details of my PC-
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5lhf4lwOOBXalJDUzJLbmNwV1U
As you can see in the link above, I have 1 defective drive ( can it be used safely? ), 2 fully operational sata2 hard drives(500+500gb), and I also have a toshiba sata3 hard drive(2tb.)
I have never setup raid before, but would like to get help on how to do it.
I want to use those 2 sata2 hard drives in raid 0 to increase performance, and use half of my toshiba drive(1tb) in raid 1. So, this is basically a raid 1+0 configuration. I would like to know if this can be done without formatting the other half of my toshiba drive.

HarshNE

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015
Thank you Elbert. I am thankful for your advice. I will try to repair the hdd if possible, and will look for a ssd on sale or something.

Thanks!