[SOLVED] Instant replay recordings have freezes in it.

Jobjanusz

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
Hello everyone!

Since a couple months I have experienced freezes in my instant replay recording. It happens about 2/3 out of the 10 times I save my instant replay clips. This suddenly started. It only happens in the recording. When I play, I don't experience anything like a freeze.

Here is a clip of the freeze:
View: https://youtu.be/vrllwDXFRg8

This doesnt only happen in csgo. Also when I'm watching a video on my desktop.

Greetings,

Jobjanusz

Solution
Are you capturing back to back instant replays by any chance? I ask because to do that without subsequent clips showing such huge hitches you must make sure you pause gameplay until the current capture it's saving is fully written. Otherwise the next clip will start out with those hitches, because it can't smoothly cache gameplay while it's writing a capture.

This is why most whom capture online play do so with manual record mode vs instant replay. I use the above described method for sp play a lot though, because of course in most sp games, you can in fact pause gameplay. You can also go to the directory where the capture is being written and actually visually see when the file is done writing.
Find the nvenc task (nvcontainer.exe) in task manager and set it to priority of realtime, it only shows up as long as it's doing something so start a manual recording to change it.
That way it will always take as much processing time as it needs to record without stutters.
If you use the free process hacker you can save this setting so it will always do it even after reboots.
process_hacker_priority.png

Are you capturing back to back instant replays by any chance? I ask because to do that without subsequent clips showing such huge hitches you must make sure you pause gameplay until the current capture it's saving is fully written. Otherwise the next clip will start out with those hitches, because it can't smoothly cache gameplay while it's writing a capture.

This is why most whom capture online play do so with manual record mode vs instant replay. I use the above described method for sp play a lot though, because of course in most sp games, you can in fact pause gameplay. You can also go to the directory where the capture is being written and actually visually see when the file is done writing.

Solution

Jobjanusz

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019

Soemitmes I do and I get the hitch what you describe. But most of the times it's somewhere in the middle of the recording. While the last instant replay save was at least 5 minutes or even more ago from that point onwards.

Jobjanusz

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
Find the nvenc task (nvcontainer.exe) in task manager and set it to priority of realtime, it only shows up as long as it's doing something so start a manual recording to change it.
That way it will always take as much processing time as it needs to record without stutters.
If you use the free process hacker you can save this setting so it will always do it even after reboots.
process_hacker_priority.png
Thank you. I think I already tried this, but I'll try this again to make sure I did this correctly.

Soemitmes I do and I get the hitch what you describe. But most of the times it's somewhere in the middle of the recording. While the last instant replay save was at least 5 minutes or even more ago from that point onwards.
Just the same though, I highly recommend using the method I described, minimizing the game after hitting save instant replay, then making sure the capture file is completely written before caching more gameplay footage. It's mainly the first part of the subsequent clip for me that hitches severely, true, but the length of that problem can vary from minimal to significant for me, and it can probably vary even more depending how your system spec compares to mine. You didn't list your hardware, so I have no idea what spec you have.

Like I said though, most whom capture more than 20 minutes of online play do so with the manual record method, because obviously it's hard to pause gameplay while playing online. Besides that, what you're calling freezing looks identical to the hitching I'm referring to when caching resumes WHILE a capture file is being written.

Reactions: Jobjanusz

Jobjanusz

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
Just the same though, I highly recommend using the method I described, minimizing the game after hitting save instant replay, then making sure the capture file is completely written before caching more gameplay footage. It's mainly the first part of the subsequent clip for me that hitches severely, true, but the length of that problem can vary from minimal to significant for me, and it can probably vary even more depending how your system spec compares to mine. You didn't list your hardware, so I have no idea what spec you have.

Like I said though, most whom capture more than 20 minutes of online play do so with the manual record method, because obviously it's hard to pause gameplay while playing online. Besides that, what you're calling freezing looks identical to the hitching I'm referring to when caching resumes WHILE a capture file is being written.
Okay, I will try to Manuel record the clips. Now I record 10 minutes of instant replay. Specs:
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb
CPU: I7-7700k
motherboard: ASRock Z270 pro4
RAM: Team Group Vulcan Vulcan DDR4-2400 16GB (Single channel)
SSD: crucial ct275mx300ssd1
HDD: toshiba dt01aca100
PSU: Cooler Master MasterWatt 750
Chassis: Sharkoon AI7000 Glass