[SOLVED] Instant shutdown with OCCT PSU/GPU tests

Aug 3, 2020
Hello,

First of all, sorry for my english, I'll try my best. :)
I don't OC my CPU or GPU.
The latest change I made was the replacement 6 months ago of the GPU, a AMD 7850 that died for a RX 590 Nitro+.

I play Wow Classic, Overwatch and Ori and the will of whisps.
A few days ago, Ori started to freeze/crash after a few minutes of playing (so far more than 20 hours without any issue).
Same thing occurs with Overwatch, game freezes/crashes (sound still works), back to desktop, sometimes I need to manually end the task.
I played WoW for 2-3 hours yesterday without any problem. I guess WoW requires less resources from the GPU.
I tried again Overwatch and crashed after a few minutes again.
  • Memtest86 on my RAM => OK
  • Then, I tried running other tests for hours with OCCT.
    • CPU : OK
    • Memtest : OK
    • GPU / 3D : test with default value (complexity of 3) --> reboot within 10 seconds (Asus anti surge was triggered to protect system)
      • I tried running shorter tests (5 minutes) with less complexity
        • complexity 1 : OK
        • complexity 2 : 1-2 errors
        • I have noticed something else : the more complex the test is, the more I heard weird noise (like clicks) coming from the PSU.
        • complexity 8 : instant shutdown/reboot
    • PSU : instant shutdown/reboot (Asus anti surge again)
Then I removed the GPU (RX 590) and run the tests with the onboard GPU :
  • GPU / 3D : test canceled by user after 3 seconds ?
  • PSU : test canceled by user after 3 seconds ?
I tried with a pretty old GPU (ATI Sapphire X1950 GT from 2007) :
  • GPU / 3D : no issue
  • PSU : no issue
I can't tell if the issue is coming from the GPU or the PSU, because the more load I put on the more reproducible the problem is.
I tried removing and reinstalling AMD drivers --> no change.
I have cleaned the dust from all the fans, removed and replaced the RAM sticks, GPU, connectors, etc...

Here is my configuration, all parts are almost 10 years old and everything was working fine so far :
  • PSU : Antec Neo Eco 520W
  • MB : Asus M4A88T-V Evo USB 3.0
  • CPU : AMD Phenom 2 X6 1075T + Scythe Shuriken
  • RAM : 12 Go DDR3 24 Kingston PC3-10700 and 22 GSkill PC3-10700
  • GPU : Sapphire RX 590 Nitro+
I am thinking the PSU is faulty but I can't be sure...
Thanks in advance for any help.

Graad

Last edited:
Solution
Hello,

The latest change I made was the replacement 6 months ago of the GPU, a AMD 7850 that died for a RX 590 Nitro+.

A few days ago, Ori started to freeze/crash after a few minutes of playing (so far more than 20 hours without any issue).
Same thing occurs with Overwatch, game freezes/crashes (sound still works), back to desktop, sometimes I need to manually end the task.
I played WoW for 2-3 hours yesterday without any problem. I guess WoW requires less resources from the GPU.
  • Then, I...
Hello,

• Then, I tried running other tests for hours with OCCT.
    • CPU : OK
    • Memtest : OK
    • GPU / 3D : test with default value (complexity of 3) --> reboot within 10 seconds (Asus anti surge was triggered to protect system)
      • I tried running shorter tests (5 minutes) with less complexity
        • complexity 1 : OK
        • complexity 2 : 1-2 errors
        • I have noticed something else : the more complex the test is, the more I heard weird noise (like clicks) coming from the PSU.
        • complexity 8 : instant shutdown/reboot
    • PSU : instant shutdown/reboot (Asus anti surge again)
Then I removed the GPU (RX 590) and run the tests with the onboard GPU :
  • GPU / 3D : test canceled by user after 3 seconds ?
  • PSU : test canceled by user after 3 seconds ?
I tried with a pretty old GPU (ATI Sapphire X1950 GT from 2007) :
  • GPU / 3D : no issue
  • PSU : no issue
I can't tell if the issue is coming from the GPU or the PSU, because the more load I put on the more reproducible the problem is.
I tried removing and reinstalling AMD drivers --> no change.
I have cleaned the dust from all the fans, removed and replaced the RAM sticks, GPU, connectors, etc...

Here is my configuration, all parts are almost 10 years old and everything was working fine so far :
  • PSU : Antec Neo Eco 520W
  • MB : Asus M4A88T-V Evo USB 3.0
  • CPU : AMD Phenom 2 X6 1075T + Scythe Shuriken
  • RAM : 12 Go DDR3 24 Kingston PC3-10700 and 22 GSkill PC3-10700
  • GPU : Sapphire RX 590 Nitro+
I am thinking the PSU is faulty but I can't be sure...
Thanks in advance for any help.

Graad
Your PSU can output 480 watts on the +12volt rail if it's working properly. Your system, under heavy load with a 125 watt CPU and 250 watt GPU and the rest of the build will use around 400 watts, maybe more. You're pushing an old, budget power supply pretty hard under load. You really should be using a much better quality PSU around 650 watts with that RX590 NITRO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution
Aug 3, 2020
Hello,

Thanks a lot for your answer.
I understand that my PSU might be too light for my current configuration.
But it worked well for more than 6 months with the XR 590, do you think the PSU started to lose its "power" over the time ?
After all, it is 10 years old.

I have no issue buying a new one, I am looking for a Seasonic 650W 80+ Bronze (or gold) for example (any other suggestions are welcomed).
But I want to be sure it's the PSU the problem here.

Btw I have not seen anything wrong with the temperature in games or with OCCT tests.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks a lot for your answer.
I understand that my PSU might be too light for my current configuration.
But it worked well for more than 6 months with the XR 590, do you think the PSU started to lose its "power" over the time ?
After all, it is 10 years old.

I have no issue buying a new one, I am looking for a Seasonic 650W 80+ Bronze (or gold) for example (any other suggestions are welcomed).
But I want to be sure it's the PSU the problem here.

Btw I have not seen anything wrong with the temperature in games or with OCCT tests.
Is it certain that the power supply is the issue? No, but it is certain that you need to replace the old one regardless. Absent temperature issues, the power supply is a good place to start and you need a new one anyways.

Aug 3, 2020
Is it certain that the power supply is the issue? No, but it is certain that you need to replace the old one regardless. Absent temperature issues, the power supply is a good place to start and you need a new one anyways.
Thanks a lot, I will buy a new one and it will be a good start to check the issue.
Do you have good recommendations for the PSU ?
I know Seasonic PSUs have good critics, but in case I am struggling to find one, what are there other models ?

I can have a FSP HYDRO G 650 - 80+ Gold for 100 euros which is ranked 5 in the tier list according to this site https://10scopes.com/psu-tier-list/

Thanks

Thanks a lot, I will buy a new one and it will be a good start to check the issue.
Do you have good recommendations for the PSU ?
I know Seasonic PSUs have good critics, but in case I am struggling to find one, what are there other models ?

I can have a FSP HYDRO G 650 - 80+ Gold for 100 euros which is ranked 5 in the tier list according to this site https://10scopes.com/psu-tier-list/

Thanks
The Hydro G is a solid unit. We have a tier list here at Tom's and the Hydro G is in the top tier A.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psu-tier-list-psucultists.3624094/

There's also an in-depth review of that model right here at Tom's-
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fsp-hydro-g-650-power-supply,4462.html

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020
Thanks a lot for your patience and all the information, the tier list was a huge help.
The only PSU available I found with a good value is the Hydro G 650, so I will go for this one.
There were a bunch of Seasonic M12 II or models with 550W, some Corsair CX gray (bronze), and... that's about all I have found in stock on specialized websites or Amazon (for me living in Belgium).

I will give you a feedback as soon as the PSU arrives (fingers crossed for wednesday !)

Aug 3, 2020
Received my Hydro G 650W and everything is working fine now.
No shutdown or crash with OCCT, GPU and PSU stress tests are OK.
Modular is way more easier than my previous wires. ;)

Thanks again for your help Archaic59 !

P.S Idon't know if I can close the topic myself, but issue solved !

Aug 3, 2020
Well, I have bad and good news.

Bad news : Ori crashed again with the same sequence.
This time I made a search based on the message displayed in the "events viewer" : amdkmdap was not responding (must be something like that in english).
Two things are recommended :
  • look for windows updates
  • change the power status of the PCIExpress port to disabled
Good news : I was able to play Ori one hour, finally going through the crashing sequence (and finishing the game btw).
Since I wasn't sure which one of the two modifications seemed to fix the issue, I changed back the power status for the PCIExpress.
I refinished the game : No issue at all.

So, was it related to a Windows update ?
Was it necessary to buy a new PSU ? Maybe, since I don't have the same tests that fail in OCCT, my PSU was slowly dying.
But when I push the shader complexity too high for the 3D/GPU tests, I have errors or the screen goes black, nothing responds anymore and the fans are turning like crazy.
I don't know how much I can trust these tests anyway...

Last edited: