[SOLVED] Instant Temperature jumps on Ryzen 5600g

hunterczech

Reputable
May 29, 2019
Hello,
is it normal that when starting cinebench the temperature jumps from 30C to 70C within 4 seconds after starting the test? It then sits around that temperature maxing up to 75C till finnishing the test and then drops back to 30C within next few seconds. I have did many other stress tests sitting for hours and it never went above 75C. I don't know if this is normal at these CPUs or not? I have Arctic Freezer 34 cooler that is not covering entire CPU heatspreader (only about 70-80%). However manufacturer said that it doesnt have to cover entire CPU, that the middle part is only important thing and that this cooler is able to cooldown even much bigger CPUs like Threadrippers.

While gaming my temperatures sits around 55C, when idle its 28-50C.

EDIT:
Some additional details:
My case has 2x 120mm front intake fans (MOLEX) rotating at around ~1000RPM
1x 120mm Rear exhaust PWM with custom fan profile (8V 0-50C, 12V >50) 12V means about 1200-1300RPM ~45CFM
Arctic Freezer 34 has 1800RPM Fan with custom fan profile (55% 0-50C, 100% >50) ~56.4CFM
My case is below my desk (not really great airflow I guess)
My CPU (5600g) is not overclocked, it is undervolted to run at max 1.288V, at idle it goes to as low as 0.9V, it's running up to 4450Mhz. My benchmark scores above average of other 5600Gs so its not throttling.

Last edited:
Solution
That would explain the sudden jumps in temps, not enough heat transfer so the small thermal mass of the processor heats up very fast.
No just that, Ryzen processors are instantly heat up to max temps (depending on load) under load. That's why temp go instantly up and instantly down. Dissipation isn't problem usually
Just effect of dynamic effective clock and current techprocess. Small die, and even not a lot of heat can be hard to dissipate fast.
So your cooler efficiency is limited mostly by heat transfer speed and not heat dissipation speed.

For more details.
Heat transfer speed - speed of heat moving from die to IHS and then to heatsink on bottom of cooler.
Heat dissipation speed - speed of heat being removed from heatsink...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, it's normal.
Now, that tidbit from the manufacturer... they might've been a little high on bath salts.
Intel still uses monolithic dies and they're located in the center, so the heat radiates out from the center.
On most Ryzen chips, there's one or more dies depending on the model, and they're offset from the center, so the heat isn't radiating out directly from the center.
The 5600G, has a single die in the center, so they're correct there: https://www.techpowerup.com/285534/amd-ryzen-5-5600g-apu-die-shots-published
On a Threadripper though? I'd have to see it to believe it.

hunterczech

Reputable
May 29, 2019
Thanks for answer. I want to ask one more question, if I may? Do you think that if I replaced that 3 case fans inside the case for 1800RPM 56.4CFM PWMs + added same fan to my CPU cooler, how much would that affect the temperatures? It seems like the temperatures on this CPU are still the same regardless of current voltage (had same temp on 1.4V just performance dropped by about 10%). So does that mean I would potentionally get more headroom for overclocking?

EDIT: One more question.. Which software is most accurate to measure CPU temp? Ryzen Master shows about 30C whereas HWiNFO is in 40 to low 50s. When restarting quickly to BIOS it shows the same temperature as Ryzen Master.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That is not possible to answer without doing personal testing. There's more involved than just fans, and those numbers are with the fans at 100%. Would your ears tolerate that? I don't think most users run their fans at 100% unless the max rpm and sound level is already really low.
A fan's performance does not scale linearly either. Running those 1800rpm fans at 50% does not equate to 50% of the cfm, static pressure, or sound level.

hunterczech

Reputable
May 29, 2019
That is not possible to answer without doing personal testing. There's more involved than just fans, and those numbers are with the fans at 100%. Would your ears tolerate that? I don't think most users run their fans at 100% unless the max rpm and sound level is already really low.
A fan's performance does not scale linearly either. Running those 1800rpm fans at 50% does not equate to 50% of the cfm, static pressure, or sound level.
I know it's not just the RPM. But those fans are way higher quality than what my 40$ case came with. And about the software? Which one should I use to measure my temps please?

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
That would explain the sudden jumps in temps, not enough heat transfer so the small thermal mass of the processor heats up very fast.
No just that, Ryzen processors are instantly heat up to max temps (depending on load) under load. That's why temp go instantly up and instantly down. Dissipation isn't problem usually
Just effect of dynamic effective clock and current techprocess. Small die, and even not a lot of heat can be hard to dissipate fast.
So your cooler efficiency is limited mostly by heat transfer speed and not heat dissipation speed.

For more details.
Heat transfer speed - speed of heat moving from die to IHS and then to heatsink on bottom of cooler.
Heat dissipation speed - speed of heat being removed from heatsink, copper tubes and aluminium fins by heat disspiant - air or water.
You can affect on first by choosing more copper tubes, full copper heat spreader, higher pressure and contact plate, better cooler placements (if you have tubes, you want one to pass over die hotspot) and better thermal paste (+coverage + thickness (not too little, not too much).
You can affect on second by more airflow or changing dissipant to more conductive (aka water cooling)

Solution

hunterczech

Reputable
May 29, 2019
Can't it also be caused by having old BIOS update? MOBO can assign it wrong Voltage or something (without negative curve my CPU is running at stock voltage of 1.4V). My BIOS is about half a year older than 5600G was released (it's most recent non-beta tho). There's Beta BIOS available on my PC that adds support extended for 5600g so maybe I should flash that? It indeed seems weird to me as i've seen many benchmark videos of Ryzen 5000's CPU and they all were heating slowly (in terms of minutes) before they reached even 60C. On my PC it instantly jumps +40C in matter of few seconds.

EDIT: Also don't forget that 5600G is power saving (HWiNFO shows about 7W TDP for whole CPU, 16W at Cinebench) ever barely reaching these 65W at normal world usage (and in extreme stress tests up to 75-80W). My cooler should be able to cooldown 150W processors.

Last edited:

hunterczech

Reputable
May 29, 2019
Just FYI - I have flashed to most recent Bios (7C02v3C3 Beta), it's been running even hotter by about 5C in average, but with about 5% more performance in average. There was, however, about 20% chance on each boot that it wouldn't post. So I flashed to 7C02v3B, which is imo way better and it's more stable too.

TRENDING THREADS