Question Instructions with Clear Steps to Boot Raspberry Pi from SSD

scrapser

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2001
I read the article on how to do this. I also read the comments on that article. Somewhere in all that discussing I figure there must be the information I need. But I'm not that savvy to see what's important and what's moot or bad information.

Can someone point me to how to do this without the slang or partial references? To me the instructions should say what to do and in what order...and any references to hardware, software, code, files and everything else should be clearly described without leaving anything to guesswork. All I'm asking is please be specific.

Note:
It appears there have been some changes to files over the past week or so that may or may not be relevant anymore. Also, there's mention of some files on GitHub but no link or information on exactly what files are being referred to. I just installed my copy of the operating system tonight (6/8/2020) so whatever happened before this may not matter in terms of the GitHub reference.

I'm fairly new to Linux but have enough experience to know how to find my way around. But by no means can I keep up with someone who assumes I know as much as they do.

Thanks!

Last edited:
For what I remember, these instructions were applicable to most recent RPi 4 only, and only after updating low-level firmware.

The first question is - why? What's wrong with booting off uSD, and then accessing the SSD?

And second - if you are not sure in your (Linux) skills, no tutorial will help.

Jun 9, 2020
Thanks swcrapser.

Good question. As a Linux user for over 20 years I've also been struggling with this. The whole point of the Raspberry Pi project is to make IT affordable and accessible to all. Contributors to Tom's HARDWARE have built an incredibly useful resource for Pi users worldwide. A short summary of the steps to boot and operate a Pi4 from SSD would be helpful now that the long-awaited firmware update seems to be arriving.

scrapser

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2001
Thanks swcrapser.

Good question. As a Linux user for over 20 years I've also been struggling with this. The whole point of the Raspberry Pi project is to make IT affordable and accessible to all. Contributors to Tom's HARDWARE have built an incredibly useful resource for Pi users worldwide. A short summary of the steps to boot and operate a Pi4 from SSD would be helpful now that the long-awaited firmware update seems to be arriving.

Thanks for your response (and to Alabalcho's as well). I just completed a Software Developer certificate program at my local community college. As part of the program, I took two Linux classes which were based on the Cisco NetAcademy courses. It was a lot of fun and introduced me to as much of the Linux functionality as possible. But like all programming software, you need to work with it regularly to become proficient.

The article (and comments) need to be streamlined so all the irrelevant dialog is not in the way. That was my main point of posting. When you're new to something...everything comes across as important and can easily get confused and/or overwhelmed.

I too, have over 25 years of experience working in programming and hardware. But I am brand new to Linux and the Pi. So I know something of the nature of what I'm doing but not the specifics. I have my Pi assembled and running with the SD card. But I intended to move the OS over to an SSD from the get-go.

I purchased all my components (RPi4/X735/X872/X857-C1) from Geekworm. I'm using a Logitech MK710 wireless keyboard and mouse which works perfectly right out of the box.

Latest posts