Question Insufficient PCI resources detected! - no 4G enable option

Feb 4, 2021
Hello,
I have woken up today to an error message that wouldn't go away no matter what I do and in fact prevents me from booting to Windows and/or going into any bios settings.

PCI Resource Error!
PCI OUT OF RESOURCES CONDITION
Error: Insufficient PCI resources detected!

I'm sure you know how the rest of the message goes so won't be typing all of it.

Basically it's stuck in the bios screen with the error, I've taken out everything from PCI slots (wifi card and gpu were the only ones living there), and used integrated display to proceed but the problem persists. I've taken out CMOS battery numerous times and that battery reset is actually the only way I can get to bios settings, however after saving any changes and rebooting it goes back to being stuck on the error screen with no selectable options in bios (cannot do anything).
I've flashed bios 3 times now to latest version as well as some other versions (yes, they were all compatible with my mobo).
There's not many settings in bios I can actually change to make any difference here, no advanced PCI settings, no option to enable 4G or anything like that. On a separate note, I did clean the PCI slots and did fiddle with RAM bricks to make sure this is not causing it and no matter the circumstances, the issue remains the same.
My rig:
I7-4790k 4.0GHz
Mobo: Z97 gaming 3 MS-7918
HyperX HX324C11SRK2/16 (2x8GB) 2400MHz DDR3
CORSAIR CP-9020048 600W
Noctua NH-D14
I have been through every post on every forum about it today and cannot find the solution. Please save me from complete madness.