[SOLVED] Intake and exhaust fan on top?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Corsair Carbide 275R with a fan setup as follows

Front intake: 2×Corsair SP140 iCUE
Top front intake: 1×pre-installed 120mm case fan (A1225M12S)
Rear exhaust: 1×pre-installed 120mm case fan (A1225M12S)

The rear top, when under load is hot, and I can feel heat coming out of the rear top, and I'm gonna buy 2×SP120 ICUE anyway, so I was thinking if I could put one on rear as exhaust, one on top rear as exhaust and leave the top front one as intake, I can't remove that fan as intake because according to this video:
View: https://youtu.be/ZybfT2sBG2A
, the cpu fan will pull air from there anyway, and removing that fan should theoretically increase Temps. Anyway, the top grille has enough space for 280mm of fans even though they haven't provided mounting holes. So 2×120 as intake and exhaust should cause the air to recirculate, right?

Solution
You should really test different fan configs and see what works best...

If not, I say just do 3x 120mm or 2x 140mm front intake. I don't believe adding more fans will be of any real benefit; basically brute-forcing it for little benefit.
If you have a cpu tower cooler, just scrap the top fans altogether; they'll just get in its way. A top intake will not only be fighting against the front intake, but it's pushing air away(downwards) from the tower cooler.
The tower cooler will draw air in from the top on its own.

Rear fan? Don't need it either, especially if it's weaker than the tower cooler's fan(s).

If you're using a top-down, or area, cpu cooler, then 2/3 front intake, 2x top exhaust, and rear exhaust.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

If not, I say just do 3x 120mm or 2x 140mm front intake. I don't believe adding more fans will be of any real benefit; basically brute-forcing it for little benefit.
If you have a cpu tower cooler, just scrap the top fans altogether; they'll just get in its way. A top intake will not only be fighting against the front intake, but it's pushing air away(downwards) from the tower cooler.

Rear fan? Don't need it either, especially if it's weaker than the tower cooler's fan(s).

If you're using a top-down, or area, cpu cooler, then 2/3 front intake, 2x top exhaust, and rear exhaust.

Solution

I have still not bought the extra fan, but so far I have 2 140s on the front, one 120 on front top intake and 1 120 on back exhaust. Moving the front top intake to rear top exhaust raises Temps by about 4-5°. Removing it entirely raises temps by 2-3° I guess this case is made for a +ve air pressure design with air cooling, which should also be beneficial since I live in a dusty environment.

I wonder if it would be different with an AIO

Top should exhaust. That means, 2 front intake, 1 top exhaust, 1 back exhaust.
Why? natural airflow makes warm air going up, and with top exhaust you help this behaviour.
Theoretically, yes but that doesn't work, I tried cinebench R20 multi core, with 2 front and one top front intake and one rear exhaust, I was peaking about 75° (about 50 over ambient), turn that top to exhaust on top rear and I was going 79-81

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS