Question intake vs exhaust

Froggystylin

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
Ive been readin and hearin mixed opinions so I figured I would ask here so the question is are intakes better for aios then settin them to exhaust then

for cooling performance intake is best as you can get fresh air directly from outside, while exhaust would be taking hot air from GPU,

another point of view:
it will get dusty over time way faster than as exhaust
but, if you use aio as exhaust and your exhaust coolers outperform your intakes (negative pressure), whole PC will get dusted including aio

Froggystylin

Reputable
Dec 12, 2019
yea Im pretty sure I have negative pressure because I have my gpu aio mounted on the side of my case as exhaust I have my cpu aio mounted on the top as exhaust and Im pretty sure the gpu one just exhausts the fresh air comin from the front fans comin in with the back fan as an exhaust too

Its also very easy for you to test it yourself, swap the fans around and see if there are any differences.
What sort of intake setup are you running? As it sits right now you likely dont have enough cool air coming in. A side, top, and rear exhaust are all going to be pretty demanding.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Some of these queries would be resolved by just putting aside some time to run your own tests.
You get mixed responses because of all the different hardware configurations and environments between users.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
okay one more question then does it matter where the fans are on the radiator like if I want to make them intake should they be between the case and the radiator then
That would be best, yes.
You typically want radiator fans pushing the air through the radiator, whatever direction that may be.
It depends on blade designs and the fan frame. Some fans are better used as push, others pull. But no one has extensively covered that(way too many fans out there).
Phanteks T30-120s that I use on one of my radiators are used as pull fans due to the size of the central hub; larger than normal, and thus obstructs more radiator surface area when used as push.
So again, gotta do your own tests.

TRENDING THREADS