Question Integrated GPU is being used over my primary GPU, and weird GPU driver problem ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 15, 2023
Does anyone know why this is happening? After a recent Windows 11 update, my integrated GPU from my CPU is being used before my GPU is. I uninstalled the new Windows update, and now NZXT Cam isn't showing my GPU temperature or clock speed, but it does show it for the integrated GPU.
The driver for my primary GPU (AMD Radeon) also isn't working now for some reason. It says "Windows Update may have automatically replaced your AMD Graphics driver. Hence, the version of AMD Software you have launched is not compatible with your currently installed AMD Graphics driver."
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm kind of worried and I don't know what to do. Thank you for anyone who responds! :)

Jul 15, 2023
This is really weird because your PC shouldn't be able to use your IGP when the cable is plugged into the card itself.

One thing that you could try would be to go into Device Manager and disable your IGP to force Windows to use your card.
Yeah it is very weird. I just tried disabling it in Device Manager, and now NZXT Cam is saying that my GPU clock speed is still very low (~20 MHz) and my idle usage is around 5%.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Yeah it is very weird. I just tried disabling it in Device Manager, and now NZXT Cam is saying that my GPU clock speed is still very low (~20 MHz) and my idle usage is around 5%.
It sounds like the joys of Windows 11 continuing... You might have to re-install Windows. If I were you, I'd get a cheap W10 Pro OEM key and "downgrade" to W10. With Microsoft products, it's always best to upgrade only when you're forced to.

I've personally never used Windows Vista or Windows 8 and from what I've heard, I made the right choice both times! :giggle:(y)

Jul 15, 2023
It sounds like the joys of Windows 11 continuing... You might have to re-install Windows. If I were you, I'd get a cheap W10 Pro OEM key and "downgrade" to W10. With Microsoft products, it's always best to upgrade only when you're forced to.

I've personally never used Windows Vista or Windows 8 and from what I've heard, I made the right choice both times! :giggle:(y)
Could I just wait for an update that fixes it? Now my GPU is working perfectly fine, but when I launch a game that turns on my GPU fans, my fans will stay at that speed even hours later (and the temperature is low), even after exiting the game.

Could I just wait for an update that fixes it?
There won't be one. Microsoft doesn't do updates to fix video card fans that won't shut off, especially when it's not a widespread problem.
Now my GPU is working perfectly fine, but when I launch a game that turns on my GPU fans, my fans will stay at that speed even hours later (and the temperature is low), even after exiting the game.
What kind of card is it anyway? That might be important.

Jul 15, 2023
There won't be one. Microsoft doesn't do updates to fix video card fans that won't shut off, especially when it's not a widespread problem.

What kind of card is it anyway? That might be important.
Sorry for the late response, I have a MSI RX 6600 XT MECH 2X 8G OC Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB Video Card.

Sorry for the late response, I have a MSI RX 6600 XT MECH 2X 8G OC Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB Video Card.
Ah ok. Well, if the fans won't shut off, I would contact MSi to RMA the card. It's not supposed to behave that way. If your warranty period is over, then I would recommend just dealing with it. Having the fans on all the time isn't going to hurt the card itself and the fans should be able to run that way for many years.

Jul 15, 2023
Ah ok. Well, if the fans won't shut off, I would contact MSi to RMA the card. It's not supposed to behave that way. If your warranty period is over, then I would recommend just dealing with it. Having the fans on all the time isn't going to hurt the card itself and the fans should be able to run that way for many years.
I just put my computer to sleep, and when I got back Windows told me that some hardware changes were made and that I needed to restart for them to take effect. Once I restarted, I'm back on square one and NZXT Cam no longer has information about my GPU, however it is still working. My AMD Radeon PRO software will also not open because "Windows Update may have automatically replaced your AMD Graphics driver. Hence, the version of AMD Software you have launched is not compatible with your currently installed AMD Graphics driver." I'm just really confused at this point and I'm not sure what to do.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
That happened to me too. Here's how to fix it:
  1. Download the latest version of DDU
  2. Download the latest Radeon driver for your device
  3. Disconnect from the Internet (unplug, disable ethernet or WiFi, etc.)
  4. Run DDU and restart
  5. Run DDU and restart again (this is so you don't have to do it in safe mode)
  6. Install the latest Radeon driver for your device
  7. Restart again
  8. Re-connect to the internet
Everything should be good then. It takes about 15-20 minutes in total.

TRENDING THREADS