[SOLVED] Integrated GPU Lagging

Jun 8, 2020
Hello, I'm new here and need some help please.
Running Windows 10 Pro, Graphical card driver updated, Bios updated
Here's the benchmark results from Novabench :

CPU Score = 230 (Intel Celeron G540 2Cores running at 2.5GHz)
RAM Score = 113 (I have a single 4GB RAM 1066MHz)
Disk Score = 28 = Write Speed: 100 MB/s = Read Speed: 101 MB/s (2Tb HDD nearly empty)
Graphics Score = 99 = Direct3D 11: 3 FPS = OpenCL: 0 FLOPS
Overall Score = 470

I built this config on this motherboard Asus P8H61-I R2.0 (I don't have space to put a GPU so I'm using the integrated Intel HD Graphics)
If I watch a 4K video on YT I can only see 1 frame every 5 seconds maybe and the more I have windows open or different processes running the more lag on the mouse pointing where it becomes a big hassle to aim right with it and clicking won't work 1/2 of the time.
I tried also installing windows 8 and it's the same if not worst.
I didn't overclock anything and the Bios is set to defaults.

Solution
I'm using this pc only for very basic things, browsing the internet by itself is a hassle.
But is it normal that on the benchmark test I get a low score and 3 fps only?

You went a little too basic. That score sounds about right for the integrated GPU on a $40 CPU that's almost a decade old.

Amazon recommends 14 Mb/s as the minimum for 4K video, Netflix 25 Mb/s. 4 Mb/s is quite insufficient. You're on the edge of what's acceptable for 1080p; 720p or lower would likely be better if you want to watch videos and do something else simultaneously.

Quite honestly, you need a significant hardware upgrade and internet upgrade to achieve what you want to achieve here. I'm not sure why you went with an ancient Celeron on even a...
Jun 3, 2020
This is purely because of your PC. 4Gb RAM isnt allot, and Intel Integrated GPUs are never very good, especially on Celeron CPUs as they arent exactly 'Mid-range'. The only fix for this would be a PC upgrade or a WiFi upgrade.

Jun 8, 2020
This is purely because of your PC. 4Gb RAM isnt allot, and Intel Integrated GPUs are never very good, especially on Celeron CPUs as they arent exactly 'Mid-range'. The only fix for this would be a PC upgrade or a WiFi upgrade.

What's the most important thing to upgrade then? RAM?
What do you mean by a WIFI upgrade? I believe I have a descent bandwith :) I get a download speed at 4Mb/s

Jun 3, 2020
What's the most important thing to upgrade then? RAM?
What do you mean by a WIFI upgrade? I believe I have a descent bandwith :) I get a download speed at 4Mb/s
4mb p/s isnt good at all
8GB RAM is preferable these days, and a CPU upgrade is imminent if you want to game on this PC or load 4K videos. A Dedicated GPU would also be good, although AMD make some good integrated graphics. If these are not an option, 480p would probably be good for your internet.

Jun 8, 2020
4mb p/s isnt good at all
8GB RAM is preferable these days, and a CPU upgrade is imminent if you want to game on this PC or load 4K videos. A Dedicated GPU would also be good, although AMD make some good integrated graphics. If these are not an option, 480p would probably be good for your internet.

I'm using this pc only for very basic things, browsing the internet by itself is a hassle.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

You went a little too basic. That score sounds about right for the integrated GPU on a $40 CPU that's almost a decade old.

Amazon recommends 14 Mb/s as the minimum for 4K video, Netflix 25 Mb/s. 4 Mb/s is quite insufficient. You're on the edge of what's acceptable for 1080p; 720p or lower would likely be better if you want to watch videos and do something else simultaneously.

Quite honestly, you need a significant hardware upgrade and internet upgrade to achieve what you want to achieve here. I'm not sure why you went with an ancient Celeron on even a super-budget build; with an old Sandy Bridge motherboard, you can find i5s incredibly cheaply. i5-2400 CPUs can be found on eBay regularly for like $15 used.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Use a free program like WinAero Tweaker, it has switches for just about anything and everything. Unless you want to move upto 8Gb of ram, you'll have to turn a LOT of things in Windows 10 OFF. Xbox DVR, game bar helper, Cortana, Windows shop, anything and everything you absolutely do not need or want. Without that, windows alone will suck that 4Gb dry, it generally uses @ 2-3Gb by itself, meaning even web pages take forever to load and programs are worse.

With such an old (and that was low-end even for those times) and slow cpu, anything you can do to streamline it is a small victory.

Reactions: 02maher
Jun 8, 2020

Quite honestly, you need a significant hardware upgrade and internet upgrade to achieve what you want to achieve here. I'm not sure why you went with an ancient Celeron on even a super-budget build; with an old Sandy Bridge motherboard, you can find i5s incredibly cheaply. i5-2400 CPUs can be found on eBay regularly for like $15 used.

Yeah I know haha, I have a laptop with decent specs but wanted to use this one which I bought like 8 years ago at home on my big screen as secondary option, I thought I could do just basic internet surfing and listening to music you know...
I guess I will try to fit a small gpu, otherwise it's almost a useless machine for me.