Question Integrated GPU on motherboard without VGA (or D-Sub)

Feb 4, 2023
Hello

If you ever build a new PC with an integrated graphic processor using a motherboard such as the B560M DS3H V2, which doesn't have a VGA (or D-Sub) port and you only have an old monitor with VGA, it's fine. Let me explain:

If you go to the page of Gigabyte listing the specifications, you'll often read:

"* The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter."

Well... I bought a passive DVI-D to VGA adapter (be careful to choose a 24+1 one) and it works just fine. Here's as an example the one I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J6N9DZW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

So don't get fooled by motherboard manufacturers. I know the VGA has to be gone someday but there's still many working monitors with a VGA/D-SUB input, and some older platforms (such as 3rd and 4th gen Intel) working fine still today with okay integrated GPU for office and multimedia content.

Hope this information helps anybody.
Have a good day.

Feb 4, 2023
That is active DVI-D to to VGA adapter (not passive).

YIWENTEC Active DVI 24+1 DVI-D M to VGA with Chip Active Converter

Though, it doesn't require power from an USB port like other adapter i've seen, so in any case, it's fine. Gigabyte statement that an adapter wouldn't work is wrong nonetheless, isn't it?

Passive adapter won't work.
Active one will.
Though - it's quite surprising, how they managed to cram all the active components inside such a small adapter.
Normally active DVI-D->VGA adapter would look like this:

41wR0C0XEHL._SY450_.jpg