integrated graphics being used in games over dedicated graphics

Jan 19, 2019
Hello, I have a ROG gl503v gaming laptop. It has a i7 and a gtx 1050. When I'm playing games, I thought I would have more frames than I'm running. I looked up the same specs playing the same game on youtube and it had around 144-160 frames, and I run as low as 30 fps at times. Plus, the in game graphics is the exact same so that will not affect the frame rate. To investigate more, I disabled my integrated graphics to see if their would be any difference. There was a huge performance boost when I did that, but my monitor wouldn't display so I was stuck using my laptop screen. Then, I did the opposite and the fps stayed around the same. I have tried going into the nvidia control panel and change it manually, and nothing changed. I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but in task manager the intel graphics are listed as the gpu 0 and the dedicated graphics as gpu 1. I have talked to the asus help number over 5 times and nothing happened. I have looked at so many blogs and posts on this subject and nothing has worked. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The laptop won't run the dedicated graphics card on battery, it'll automatically switch to integrated graphics. It's a heat issue thing, the power draw would cook the battery in half an hour or less.

If the laptop is plugged to power, graphics settings should allow for dedicated output.

Jan 19, 2019

I only use my laptop on power when I play my games.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
In control panel, power, the cpu should be set for maximum performance when plugged in. In display settings, manage 3d, should be a global setting to use the dedicated gpu, or you can assign it per program. Might have to do the same in Crimson settings.

Jan 19, 2019

Jan 19, 2019
I already had my dedicated graphics card set manually to be used when playing my games but really changed. But when I went into the control panel, I noticed that when I went into the adjust image setting with preview, it was set on quality. I changed it to performance so hopefully that makes a difference. For that to kick in, do I have to restart my laptop?

The way most laptops with hybrid Intel+Nvidia graphics works is the Intel integrated GPU always drives the screen. The Nvidia GPU acts as a co-processor. When the game uses the Nvidia GPU and finishes drawing a frame, the frame gets sent to the Intel GPU which displays it. That's why the Intel GPU is listed as GPU 0, and the Nvidia GPU as GPU 1. I'm surprised your laptop even worked when you disabled the Intel graphics.

As you can imagine, this process is highly dependent on the drivers working correctly. Windows 10 Update has this bad habit of replacing functioning drivers with non-functional drivers. I'd try downloading the video drivers (Intel and Nvidia) from the Asus website for your laptop. Then disable networking (to block Windows Update). Install the two drivers you've downloaded. Reboot, and try the games again.

If this fixes the problem (games work at the expected framerate for the Nvidia GPU), then enable networking. Let Windows Update do its thing. If it replaces one or both video drivers and the games stop working, just go into device manager. Open the properties for your GPU(s) and select the option to roll back the driver. This is the method Microsoft has settled on to block Windows 10 Update from replacing device drivers.

I've found HWMonitor to be a simple quick and dirty way to check which GPU is being used. It will display the clock speed of of the Intel GPU, while showing the Nvidia GPU as disabled. If a game uses only the Intel GPU, it will continue to show the Nvidia GPU as disabled. If a game uses the Nvidia GPU, you'll see its clock speed ramp up and both GPUs will show as being in use.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Also, laptops can use the dedicated GPU on battery. (I have a Thinkpad X1 Extreme with i7 and 1050Ti just like you, and it uses the Nvidia GPU on battery.) But the performance will be limited due to the battery only being able to put out so many Watts. The exact performance limit depends on the battery and CPU + GPU. Generally, the batteries with more cells can put out more Watts. (The high-end gaming laptops actually use more power than the AC adapter can provide. Consequently when gaming on AC power, they will slowly drain the battery as well. When the battery is empty, their performance gets limited to match the max power the AC adapter can provide.)

Jan 19, 2019

Jan 19, 2019

Jan 19, 2019

Sorry for the late reply, this website was screwing with my laptop. I downloaded the hw monitor link that you pasted. It only shows the integrated graphics, not the gtx 1050. I also set my power settings to high performance instead of the other options. That still doesn't make a difference. Now, when I'm playing games, my frames will drop under 5 and my screen will freeze. So your saying my best option at this moment is to stop windows udpates and get the newest drivers from the asus website?

Jan 19, 2019

Sorry for the late reply, the website has been screwing with my laptop. Yesterday I switched from standard to high performance, but I see no difference, maybe just a slight difference.