Integrated Graphics not working?

bmather9

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
I'm building a home server and I bought this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157314

The board has a VGA, DVI and HDMI port, and I'm using the Pentium G620 chip with it.

The first time I booted the machine with my TV hooked up to the VGA port, it worked just as expected and I was able to go into the bios and look around. Ever since that first time, I have been unable to get anything to display with the integrated graphics. In fact I get 5 beeps when I start the system indicating "No VGA".

I went back to basics and unhooked all unecessary devices from the motherboard, but still get the beeps and no display. So next I decided to pull out an old PCI card, and it worked flawlessly. I proceeded to hook my other hardware back up, and all my drives and memory show up just fine. I even flashed an updated BIOS.

If I remove the PCI GPU I always get the 5 beeps for "no VGA". Is there some trick to this? I can't find any settings in the BIOS for it. I've tried clearing CMOS a few times with the jumper and by removing the battery.

Any help is appreciated.

Additionally, is the CPU clock ratio locked on my CPU? I don't seem to have the option to change it in BIOS, I was hoping to underclock to save a bit of power. Is this just a limitation of my motherboard?

It actually does.

B75%20Pro3%28m%29.jpg

And a direct quote from the Details tab on Newegg "Supports Intel HD Graphics with Built-in Visuals"

It sounds like it's set to initiate the PCIe/PCI graphics first, but since you've cleared the CMOS, I really have no idea why it wouldn't revert back to initiating the iGPU first.

Did you take the discreet card out when you cleared the CMOS?

As far as the multiplier on the CPU, yes, it's locked.

bmather9

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

I did clear the CMOS without the PCI graphics card installed. Also, there is a setting to initiate with different GPU's, but the only choices there are PCIe and PCI. There is no mention of integrated graphics anywhere in the BIOS that I could find.

Like I said, on the very first boot attempt, I did get into the BIOS with the display working using the integrated graphics. I remember when I exited BIOS that very first time, I saw some command line text talking about my CPU and asking me to hit 'Y' on the keyboard to change a setting. Before I finished reading it the computer restarted before I could do anything. Don't know if this has anything to do with it.

bmather9

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
So I pulled it out of the case and breadboarded it. No difference. ASROCK should've mentioned the integrated graphics was a 1-time use only :pfff:

I also tried a different PSU with same results.

This is so frustrating, just a week ago, I pulled out an old MB that used to work and get the same problem of "no VGA". The difference is this MB doesn't have onboard graphics and the AGP and PCI slots don't work!

bmather9

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Am I correct that the CPU is what actually has the integrated graphics in my setup? I'm pretty sure that my Pentium G620 is supposed to support integrated graphics, but just want to rule anything out before I RMA the board.

Sorry for the late-ish reply, but you're correct that the integrated graphics is on the CPU.

bmather9

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

Does that mean my CPU is bad? Because it seems to work properly as long as I'm using the discrete PCI graphics card.

bmather9

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

That's what I figured, I already sent the motherboard out for RMA. I'll let you know what happens, what a pain.

hellphyre

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012

Same exact issue here with the Asrock Z77 PRO4 and an I7 2700k. Tried everything you did above but i actually was able to correct the issue. So for anyone searching for an answer other than RMA, here you go.

My board has an option to check for bios updates via the internet from the UEFI itself. I checked earlier that day, before i had problems, and there were no updates. After tweaking some bios settings i ended up having this issue as stated above. After hours of troubleshooting and finally getting back into the bios with a PCIe card bypassing the onboard, i checked for updates again for whatever reason and *bang* there was an update. After install and flashed bios, I-GPU option came right back and everything was perfect again. No idea what borked the bios to begin with but it seems to have corrupted some of itself or something which the UEFI flash corrected.

Hope this helps somebody looking for answers. Only took 6 hours to figure that one out...

~hellphyre