Question Integrated graphics problem

Sep 13, 2024
Motherboard: MSI B250M - BIOS E7A65IMS.140 27/06/2017
CPU: Intel i5-6400
GPU: MSI RX580
RAM: Kingston DDR4 2x16
Power Supply: Corsair CP-9020102-UK CX550M 550 W 80
Windows manager: QTile on X11

Two months ago everything working fine, using the RX580 on HDMI. I turned it off, wrapped it in bubble wrap and sent it of on a ship.

It just arrived and I booted it up. Using the RX580 as before you could see the BIOS splash screen and boot. As soon as it reached the display manager using X11 the display stopped. Everything else was working as you could ssh into it.

So I decided to use the integrated graphics, but the reverse happened. No output on HDMI until it reached the display manager when it sprang into life.

Thinking maybe after two months the CMOS battery had died, I replaced it, but it made no difference. I can get into the BIOS if I use the RX580, so I changed it boot from the Integrated graphics. The only effect this had was to stop the RX580 from running, but the Integrated graphics still only kicked in once it reached the display manager. I had to reset the BIOS to allow access again from the RX580 card.

I can use the PC with the integrated graphics, so not a major issue, but was wondering if anyone had any idea what is going on. Many thanks.

With discrete graphics card installed - integrated graphics usually gets disabled.
If you want to use both - discrete and integrated, then this has to be enabled in BIOS.
The feature is called "Multi-monitor" ( or something different depending on BIOS vendor).
Check your BIOS settings.

Sep 13, 2024
Thanks for the reply. Yes, when using the integrated graphics, I remove the RX580 card first. I would expect that with no card detected, the integrated graphics would start right away, but it's off until it reached the X11 display manager