Integrated graphics usage drops, causing massive lag [SOLVED]

bobbyjoe01233

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
So my issue is a little... strange.

I recently ordered a laptop with a GTX 1050. In some games using the laptop, I would get 100+ fps, and the usage of the deticated graphics would be 100% and the integrated would be 30%.

However, sometimes, the integrated graphics usage would drop to 5%, causing the game to lag suddenly and go to about 20fps.

Basically, when my integrated graphics usage drops under load, it makes my game lag. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Note: Thermals are fine and around 60 degrees Celsius, CPU usage is about 50% (I limit FPS to 70), and this issue occurs in other games aswell.

bobbyjoe01233

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
Yes, I have set my games to use the GTX 1050. It also seems to be using integrated graphics along with the 1050. I'll reset all settings to default in the Nvidia control panel and then see if that will do anything.

bobbyjoe01233

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
After setting them to default, they seem to work, under the option of "Use Global Setting (Auto Select: NVIDIA GPU)". Sometimes though, it changes it to "High Performance NVIDIA processor", so I don't know why it changes it. I have checked my BIOS and there's no option that I think that will fix the problem. Will disabling integrated graphics fix this issue?

bobbyjoe01233

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
After playing around with the laptop, it seems to be defaulting on using the integrated graphics on startup, meaning that everytime I want to use dedicated graphics, I have to re-apply the setting. This isn't a big deal, but does anyone know a way for the laptop to use dedicated graphics on startup WITHOUT BIOS? My BIOS is locked, and I don't want to go through the process to unlock it.

bobbyjoe01233

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
I seem to have fixed the issue. All I did was reinstall the drivers (for like the 5th time) and it worked this time, for some reason. I'll update this thread regularly if anything happens.

bobbyjoe01233

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
After reinstalling windows and the graphics drivers, I can say that the issue still is there. However, the issue is a little bit different. The GPU usage would spike to 100% and the CPU would go to 5%, making the game about 30fps. In order to fix this issue, I would have to re-apply the high performance nvidia processor in the nvidia control panel. Is there any other way to fix this?