Intel’s 8th Gen Naming Scheme is Getting Confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I know. I've given up memorizing Lakes and Ridges... ;)
Intel is the most confusing. But give AMD some time. (They'll catch up with their naming convention after a few more releases). So, I feel your pain.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015
A fun fact. The Kaby Lake-G chips are not actually supposed to be referred to as Kaby Lake-G.

The correct vernacular:

Intel Eighth-Generation Kaby Lake-R-G H-Series processor with Radeon RX Vega M Graphics.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
This confusion is made worse when system vendors deliberately obfuscate the processor model on their machines. They won't tell you that the product has an i7-8565U -- they'll just put "8th gen" as the processor description. Frustrating!

tejayd

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018
Intel does have the vega icpu. And Im fairly sure it's the fastest integrated. But as the article points out, who can remember the model anyway. I figured it was meant for laptops. Pretty sure I've only seen it in the nuc. I also agree with best buy making it hard to find what processor you are getting. Until recently there were many laptops on their site that didn't say what gen. But I have noticed you can find that now. Just not by refining the search.

I have many little gripes about Bestbuy. But I will say they are much better than in the past. Their prices are more competitive and they arent harassing you as much to buy extras. Their website was terrible if you wanted to know what cpu you were getting. Now you can at least find it somewhere on the page. You still can't filter for them. With things like a mouse, keyboard, headset or even a laptop it is nice to try before you buy. And for most people they are going to be the only store around.

alextheblue

Distinguished
If only they had named them B-Series...

termathor

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2015
The naming scheme is confusing because it needs to show there are new products with more performance, whereas it's not at all the case.

From 6th gen to 8th gen, it's mostly the same, and within 8th gen, they are iterating on X lake like crazy, but it's still the same ...

Status
Not open for further replies.