Intel’s Five New NUCs Feature Kaby Lake; Some With Thunderbolt 3 And Iris Plus Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on Intel! Where are the fanless versions of these? Where are the PoE versions of these? I have schools waiting for these things to come out, and they were supposed to hit market LAST year... so where are they?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
*Neat*

If you want fanless, plenty of companies offer solutions. Not Kabylake, but last time I looked I found a few skylake models. Also plenty of Atom type ones out there, how much power do you need in a NUC?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
You'd probably be disappointed. It didn't seem like a substantial leap over the previous gen, from what I recall. They need to stop playing around with these eDRAM buffers and go full HMC.

Yeah, I'd love a fanless, Apollo Lake-based NUC. Go ahead and solder in the RAM, while you're at it.

A PoE NUC is an interesting idea, not that I'd have a use for one.

Well, if we're talking about fanless, then we're obviously not at 65 W. Most NUCs are like 15 - 30 W. Fanless should definitely be somewhere under 10 W. I actually wonder just how loud a 65 W NUC would be, under full load...

alextheblue

Distinguished
Speaking of Thunderbolt 3, I've seen specs stating it operates at 20-40 gbits likely depending on controller choice (x2 or x4 lanes). PCIe 3.0 tops out at 8Gb per lane, not counting overhead (which thankfully is fairly small). So are there any controllers that use more than 4 lanes for a single TB 3 connection? Because if not, you're looking at 32Gb/s max. That's a good chunk less than the advertised 40Gb/s. Ditto for the two-lane controller, that's 16 max, not 20.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
That's an interesting point. Since Thunderbolt can be used as a display interface, it seems like there's got to be at least some minimum sustained bit rate an implementation must provide.

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
Based on Intel's presentations from last year, the Alpine Ridge can provide only up to 32Gb/s (4x PCIe 3.0 lanes) of PCIe data. The other 8Gb/s can theoretically be filled with DisplayPort data that is muxed into the 40Gb/s overall bandwidth.

Caednv,
You have "schools waiting for these" (fanless NUC)??

So you manage small-form factor computers for basic, school-usage and require fanless computers? You are literally WAITING for them to come out because there's nothing on the market that can fill your needs?

Uh... right. Have to call trolling on that (or if not... WTF.. ).

Status
Not open for further replies.