Intel’s Latest On Spectre Fix Reboot Issue: Updated Fix Being Tested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
Safe to say, it's not a good time to DIY-build, upgrade (at least CPU) or purchase a pre-built rig, until either the "all-clear" or next gen CPU's that are not affected roll out?

Kennyy Evony

Reputable
Aug 12, 2014
where will not be any immune systems made for the next few years. so sit back and relax there will most likely be no new builds for foreseeable future.

Toieo

Honorable
May 24, 2012
I really hope the next generation or two worth of components aren't too far along in their development cycle that this is still an issue :/

wownwow

Commendable
Aug 30, 2017
Intel Inside = Patch-Buffet Inside, an unlimited time offer for lifetime enjoyment :-D

According to the Intel CPU design, the White House (Kernel) need to relocated for the security issue (Meltdown)!

According to Intel CEO, relocating the White House is the intended design!

It's so amazing that the company can continue selling the INTENDED faulty CPU chips designed basing on the specifications with the INTENDED flaw of not checking and not correctly handling the privilege levels, amazing!

enzoozzytiger

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018
My Dell desktop with i3-4170 + Win10 crashed during the weekend. Dell's BIOS tried to repair it. But it failed. So I ended up reinstalling Win10 clean.

This PC has been stable since I bought it 2+ years ago. Could this crash be the result of Intel's immature fix? I really doubt it. My interpretation is that the crash/reboot is caused by the issue in the updated BIOS. But I am not sure if Dell would automatically update its BIOS without giving me a prompt.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Certainly, the next CPU launch is too far along to fix. But Intel would be wise to delay the launch after that, if that's what it takes. Just imagine the performance boosts they'll be claiming, by comparing against CPUs having to use these patches!

Ilya__

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
This is what happens when there is no competition. Employees become less and less competent and proper quality assurances become less and less relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.