News Intel’s Lunar Lake and Arrow Lake to launch this fall: Rumored launch dates revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2731765

At this point, it is unclear whether the Lunar Lake-V platform is similar to the Lunar Lake-MX platform with onboard LPDDR5X memory.

Both are same. Lunar Lake CPU lineup actually dropped the "MX" branding in favor of "V". That's why we have seen recent leaks such as the Core Ultra 5 234V which kind of confirms this change in nomenclature.

https://www.bilibili.com/opus/921254597915312153?spm_id_from=333.999.0.0

Intel-Lunar-Lake-Core-Ultra-200V-CPUs-GPU.png

D

Deleted member 2731765

Intel will release its next-generation codenamed Arrow Lake and Lunar Lake processors for desktops and laptops this fall, according to a DigiTimes report.

No. Actually, there was some misunderstanding there. You got it wrong. DigiTimes's report was actually false, and was later clarified by Benchlife.

It was actually Benchlife whose report was confirmed by Intel. Benchlife were provided an update based on the recent reports from DigiTimes, who initially reported that Lunar Lake CPUs had been delayed.

Which of course was not accurate, so INTEL later confirmed this to Benchlife, hence this leak we are dealing with now.

Intel’s upcoming client processor (code-named Lunar Lake) has not been delayed. As disclosed earlier, Lunar Lake-based systems will start shipping in Q3 for the Holiday season.

Intel To Benchlife.

Benchlife's report via translation:

""Digitimes reported that the shipment time of Intel Core Ultra 2 V series processors, codenamed Lunar Lake , will be postponed from June to September.

However, this is not actually the case, because the V-series processor devices in Intel Core Ultra 2 will go on sale in September. If the processors are only shipped in September, how will they meet the sales demand in September.

According to the information we have, Intel currently plans to officially release the Lunar Lake platform in early September, and the actual launch time will be September 17-24, while the Intel Vision 2024 event will be on September 24-24, US time.""

Intel yet has to confirm official launch dates for its Arrow Lake and Lunar Lake processors. At this point, we are dealing with unconfirmed plans

FWIW, it was an INTEL rep who actually confirmed this launch time frame schedule to Benchlife sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both are same. Lunar Lake CPU lineup actually dropped the "MX" branding in favor of "V". That's why we have seen recent leaks such as the Core Ultra 5 234V which kind of confirms this change in nomenclature.
Have you seen anything on how Intel is using the V branding wise?

When I originally saw MX my brain linked it to the HX, but mobility focused so maximum perf/W. The V just doesn't have an obvious analog like that though and I don't recall Intel using it in the past.

D

Deleted member 2731765

Have you seen anything on how Intel is using the V branding wise?

No, nothing outside of the usual leaked sample chips of Lunar Lake which have been recently spotted. Yes, this V suffix is kinda odd sounding and doesn't really fit any of the company's previous nomenclature for its mobile chips.

Is this what you are asking, or something else ?

They have been suffixing Lunar lake chips with V in recent patches, but apart from this, I have no idea why Intel is going for this V branding, and how will they use it in future as well when these chips are officially released.

Earlier I was being told that V stands for "validation sample" by a reputed Benchlife tech/AIB forum member, so could this also be true, but what about these patch entries ? Here it says V, and the above leaker also claims that Intel has changed the branding from MX to V ?

But in my opinion, V makes less sense, so these could be early validation samples. If not, then Intel made an odd choice by opting for V as a suffix.

Intel Core Ultra 5 238V "Lunar Lake" 32 GB CPU:

gBEjXTF.jpeg

Intel Core Ultra 5 234V "Lunar Lake" 16 GB CPU:

j3AxoHt.jpeg

No, nothing outside of the usual leaked sample chips of Lunar Lake which have been recently spotted. Yes, this V suffix is kind odd sounding and doesn't really fit any of the company's previous nomenclature for its mobile chips.

Is this what you are asking,or something else ? They have been suffixing Lunar chips with V in recent patches, but apart from this, I have no idea why Intel is going for this V branding, and how will they use it in future as well when these chips are officially released.
Yeah that's exactly what I was curious about because I just didn't get the change and found it odd.

TechyIT223

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 30, 2023
An October launch date sounds plausible though for desktop Arrow Lake. But I'm more interested in the non- K parts and the B860 motherboard lineup.

Those K flagship parts would again be subjected to instability issues like current gen core i9 K chips, if Intel has not found any definitive solution before these chips arrive.

D

Deleted member 2731765

The report also mentions that "commercial" Lunar Lake devices are expected to be launched in January 2025.

D

Deleted member 2731765

Yes, mid-late September for consumer devices.

On a related news, Videocardz got some info on the Lunar Lake lineup from some user. Not sure how accurate this data/chart is, but this is what it looks like.

I would approach this data with caution since they haven't provided any proof to back up this claim. Some SKUs are still MIA from this chart.

6Mq1k0R.png

Reactions: TechyIT223

TechyIT223

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 30, 2023
Good to see core ultra 9 SKU in the list. I wonder what is the core configuration of these processes,!

So only max 8 cores in lunar Lake lineup? 4+4 ? Max

TechyIT223

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 30, 2023
Thanks for the clarification MM. Kind of odd though.

What about 2+6, 1+7, 0+8, and other different core configurations for lunar Lake? Both unequal performance and efficiency cores ?

Thanks for the clarification MM. Kind of odd though.

What about 2+6, 1+7, 0+8, and other different core configurations for lunar Lake? Both unequal performance and efficiency cores ?
Everything about LNL is optimized to balance performance with power savings. The design decoupled the P and E cores from one another so more E-cores definitely isn't on the table due to the performance loss of not being on the ring bus.

This limits their design choices with regards to core configurations and since they're using a TSMC N3 node maximizing wafer return has probably entered into the equation as well.

TechyIT223

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 30, 2023
Everything about LNL is optimized to balance performance with power savings. The design decoupled the P and E cores from one another so more E-cores definitely isn't on the table due to the performance loss of not being on the ring bus.

This limits their design choices with regards to core configurations and since they're using a TSMC N3 node maximizing wafer return has probably entered into the equation as well.

Oh I see. Thanks for the clarification man !🙂

D

Deleted member 2731765

Yes, the expected "2+6, 1+7, 0+8" core configs are gonna hard to implement due to decoupling. E-cores don't connect to the ring bus like the P-cores, which makes them a sort of hybrid LP E-core.

Lunar Lake Low-Power Island has its Dedicated Voltage Rail and sits closer to the DRAM, meaning the decoupled E-Core can now scale well for low-power and high-performance products. But don't expect a change in core config.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2731765

Some off topic stuff, but many have actually overlooked how the new Thread Director upgrade is working with Lunar Lake lineup. In its current state, Thread Director has some drawbacks, especially in gaming scenarios where work being moved to E-Cores is not only slower, but can also introduce latency bottlenecks

As per Intel, the Thread Director now uses a heterogeneous scheduling policy, initially assigning tasks to a single E-core and expanding to other E-cores or P-cores as and when needed. OS containment zones are now designed to limit tasks to specific cores.

These include an Efficiency Zone which schedules the work to the E-Cores, the Hybrid/Compute Zone which schedules the work the the P-Cores, and a "Zoneless" mode which schedules the work across both P-Cores and E-Cores.

These Zones constrain the workloads to only those cores and keep the rest of the compute tile cores either parked or idle. Remains to be seen how this is gonna work though.

bdWXPLE.jpeg

TechyIT223

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 30, 2023
Sounds interesting. 3 methods for scheduling the task to both the P and E cores.

Wonder how the windows OS scheduler will actually implement this.

Polaris983

Honorable
Jun 27, 2019
We will have to wait for benchmark reviewers here to see if the 100 watts less than raptor lake refresh did the trick or not in boosting core performance along with newer CPU instructions in legacy apps and games. Intel got hammered recently by bad mobo bios software settings as windows central reported on and CPU's bending. as i have a 13700k right with 128gb of ram now and it's been giving me a lot of trouble with out of memory system errors when I just watch YouTube and browse the internet as I like to scroll fast to test out the responsiveness of the system as a whole with CPU and ram intensive tasks that don't need a gpu to run.

I don't know if this is a motherboard maker issue with overvolting the CPUs to ensure stable overclocking or intel's required specs to mobo makers here to run at such a high wattage that borders on server grade CPUs that have way more surface area and pins to take in that wattage here, but like with AMD earlier this generation of computer hardware from mobos to CPUs to ram to gpus has been a total disaster in terms of QE policies and testing as the warranties of said products got exposed from ASUS to OEM makers here if your trying to build a new gaming/workstation desktop pc here this hardware cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.