News Intel’s next-gen desktop CPUs may run even hotter than current ones — chipmaker allegedly extends maximum temperature for Arrow Lake CPUs

Jul 11, 2024
If the "silicon degradation" issue on the Raptor lake chips is at all heat related... I don't see this as ending well for Intel.....

However, if a laptop CPU works at 100 to 105 degrees Celsius for a long time, notebooks may be uncomfortable because they will get hot. The increase in TJMax could mean that Intel is confident that its silicon will survive a temperature of 105 degrees Celsius and not degrade, which is good.
It's not the CPU temp that causes a laptop, or any PC, to feel hot, it's the sustained amount of power that the cooling removes from the CPU that makes the environment hot, so leaving more of the heat on the CPU will let more of the heat stay within the case instead of escaping.

Of course higher tjmax would suggest higher TDP and in that case it would make the laptop hotter but higher TDP is not the only reason to increase Tjmax.
If the "silicon degradation" issue on the Raptor lake chips is at all heat related... I don't see this as ending well for Intel.....
You think that you thought about it and they didn't?!

Jul 11, 2024
@TerryLaze

No I suspect Engineers are very aware. However I also get the feeling that there are people making choices in Intel that are choosing to make acceptable risks to maintain benchmark leads wherever they can.

That Intel has yet to really make any sort of official statement in regards to what Level 1 Techs and game developers are saying about stability and degradation leads me to believe that either Legal, or Marketing is weighing their options.

Their Silence is letting arm chair reddit "experts" gather a lot of torches and pitchforks.

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
It's going to be a good 1.5-3 years before we start seeing signs of Intel coming back with great chips. Until then, the Intel fans who buy now are holding the line much like those who bought the Phenom and Bulldozer series for AMD.

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
Is the article right....100 degrees Celsius for laptops? WTF
Laptop CPUs operating near TJMax has been the norm for... at least 20 years now.
Although, it's entirely up to the laptop manufacturer to do better than that.

One way to cut down on weight is to reduce heatsink material, and they totally do that.
Another way to cut down on costs is to use less heatpipes, and they totally do that.
My Dell 7405 2-in-1 uses a dinky little heatsink (half the size of a pinky finger) for a R5-4500U, and it sucks. It constantly hits 100C when it does a AV scan in the background. If Dell used a slightly larger heatsink, I'm sure it would never exceed 80C.
Meanwhile, I also have an Acer Aspire 3 with i5-1135G7. It uses a moderately sized heatsink and never goes past 76C.

Reactions: ThomasKinsley
Jul 11, 2024
It's going to be a good 1.5-3 years before we start seeing signs of Intel coming back with great chips. Until then, the Intel fans who buy now are holding the line much like those who bought the Phenom and Bulldozer series for AMD.

fanboys are going to fanboy. Anyone who buys Intel right now deserves nearly the same degree of mockery as those who bought AMD CPUs in 2014