Intel’s X-Lab: Tomorrow’s Network Happens Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

super_tycoon

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]Anyone else notice the Guy Fawkes mask in the background?[/citation]

It's existence is noted in the text for pic3, though I can only wonder why he has it. Is it good taste to associate yourself with 4chan and anon nowadays?

gmoney86

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
I am not sure if I ever saw the sign to the X-Lab when working at Jones Farm, but I did always wonder what went on in the labs that were similar to it. They kind of looked like IT work rooms to me, though it makes sense to have a need for oscilloscopes, soldering irons, networking tools, etc. for certain R&D projects.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Awesome article, I just finished me BSEE degree and now work in an network company where I help engineer servers so this is right up my alley!

G

This all started in 1990 with the creation of EtherExpress 16 by a handful of people led by a visionary leader, Steve Kassel.

williamvw

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]super_tycoon[/nom]It's existence is noted in the text for pic3, though I can only wonder why he has it. Is it good taste to associate yourself with 4chan and anon nowadays?[/citation]
My guess is that it was just a fun-looking mask someone had brought to the lab, perhaps because they also enjoyed "V for Vendetta." (I did!) I'd wager that the X-Lab crew had no idea of the mask's fleeting association with 4chan's anti-Scientology protests, much less the religious motivations behind Fawkes's attempted regicide. Let's not accuse good people without cause.

chovav

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Excellent article Tom (Willam actually). Nice reading, informative and geeky, just the way I like it. Amazing to see that they transfer 76TB in just one test (500,000,000*1518*100). Good job!

williamvw

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]chovav[/nom]Excellent article Tom (Willam actually). Nice reading, informative and geeky, just the way I like it. Amazing to see that they transfer 76TB in just one test (500,000,000*1518*100). Good job![/citation]
Yeah, I was stunned. I honestly expected some automated tests, maybe a few guys with scopes taking occasional signal readings -- NOTHING like what I saw. I'd assumed that a technology as old as Ethernet was pretty much a done deal and didn't require much hand holding at this point. I couldn't have been more wrong.

G

Does this have a PHY made by one of startups like Aquantia or Teranetics or is it a Broadcom PHY.
I think we will be running 10GbaseT LOM in most datacenters soon.

G

You can buy them off of newegg, they use Teranetics PHY's (Logo under the heatsink).

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Can Toms quit with the galleries or add a '10 per page' mode? Clicking next and having the entire page reload 50 times and having to scroll down 50 times is stupid. It's like we're suck in 2001 web design practices.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Fun, great, informative and geeky. Loved reading every second of it. A nod and a drink to those guys for sure! By the way, i have IE9 and i cant post comments with it, have to use firefox for it, just an FYI. Not a big deal as i use FF anyways, just testing IE9.

faryalk90

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
A very Nice and Helpful Post..Thanks for Sharing
Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket i727

Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Samsung I9100G Galaxy S II

Samsung Galaxy Note

Status
Not open for further replies.