Intel '09 Roadmap Revealed: Part 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spearhead

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
good to see some improvement in the next generation of notebook CPU's as well. clocks are somewhat better. Both intel and AMD are introducing there newest models right now. and the first new centrino's and turion ultra's can already been found in newer notebook models

G

I seriously doubt that the notebook quad will be released at 2.53ghz with 12mb of cache, nothing short of a miracle is going to make that thermal and power envelope fit into a notebook, even their most bleeding edge technology would be doing very well to keep it under 65watts. It would be like the Pentium IV 3.8ghz, where the CPU thermal throttling kicks in under load everytime, effectively making it run at slower speeds.

onearmedscissorb

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I highly doubt they will make a more affordable mobile quad-core for a LONG time. They have no competition there, and there's no telling when they will, even from themselves. AMD probably isn't ever going to be in a position to be sticking quad-core Phenoms in the average laptop, and (surprise!) they delayed Bulldozer. The mobile Core i7s were delayed as well, so Intel won't even be outdoing them for quite some time.

Quad-core desktops sure have become affordable, but it doesn't look like that's in the cards for laptops. It's too bad, considering the average new desktop is pretty much overkill at this point, so even with laptops having a disadvantage, if there was a little competition to get the prices more in line with desktops, for most of us, just one laptop would do it.

G

Your subtitle about helping us decide about upgrading is totally misleading. How many of us care about the processors that are being phased out? Who cares about mobile processors? What's coming out and when?

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
That QX9300 should be desktop enthusiast part. 2.5GHz with unlocked multi might be aimed at current Phenom 9950 BE. I guess that the pricing might be between $250 to $300.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
AnonymousA123 if you don't care about that info, just don't read it ? The roadmap's important for those of us who're actually buying a lot of stuff. Knowing when a certain cpu is being phased out, or a new one becomming available, is very useful knowledge when making sure hp ships us the current hardware, instead of their leftovers from the last model. We're typically buying a two digit number of laptops at a time, so if we could hold off for a week or two and get better cpu's it's nice to know. (or get a discount for taking the old model etc).

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
[citation][nom]anonymousA123[/nom]Your subtitle about helping us decide about upgrading is totally misleading. How many of us care about the processors that are being phased out? Who cares about mobile processors? What's coming out and when? [/citation]
Apparently you missed yesterday's "Part 1" article before making dumb comments.

batpau19

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
I love that the Q6X00s aren't even on this one-year EOL roadmap.

I think along with the 8800gt, they are going in this last generation's hall-of-staying-power fame.

Seriously, what was the last computer component that was worth buying for 3 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.