[SOLVED] Intel 10th gen + 3080 GPU true power pulls, does 750W PSU cut it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

trofeer

Commendable
Apr 3, 2021
I know nvidia recommends a 750W as minimum and This question has probably been asked a ton..Currently have a SeaSonic Focus PX750. I have a buyer for it and I have my own custom braided cables so I can just swap out the PSU but I’m feeling on the fence and would be more at ease with a little more headroom. I’ve seen some people with minor OC’s saying the gpu can hit limits of 450W?

Inventory is limited everywhere! However I can snag a SeaSonic PRIME Titanium 850W and wondering if I should go for it? Will 750W be fine for non OC 10700K and a 3080 FTW3 - gen use is gaming and streaming 1080p (1440p near future) and wait for a 1000W to come in stock or grab the 850W OR stick with what I have as I won’t come near 750W.

** my 3080 comes in a week, replacing my 2070S FTW3**

Solution
One thing to remember is that these worst case, peak draw scenarios are never realized in 99.99% of general computing/gaming. For even the most demanding AAA game I doubt the GPU and CPU would need more than 70% of those 'peak' numbers, consistently. Another thing to note is that many good, name brand PSUs have some room for a spike above their wattage rating.

On the flip side, PSUs are happiest at about 40-60% draw and, to get the max life out of them, you really don't want to run them at above 85% draw, constantly.

All in all, you'd probably be fine with an RM750x but if you have the funds and want to have some more wattage room go for an 850.

trofeer

Commendable
Apr 3, 2021
Yeah, it looks like there's no 12V v-sense, might be worth a shot to get the Seasonic PRIME then, but i'd recommend 1kW to be sure. But really, do you need it ? 750W Focus PX should be fine for RTX3080 and pretty much any CPU you'd generally consider getting for a gaming PC.
I’ll be honest, since I was watching PSU’s disappear in front of my eyes earlier this week - I snagged an 850W PRIME and a FOCUS platinum. Dumb, impulsive I know. Would just hate to have new card and be down for weeks if something happened. I was planning on keeping the 850 Focus but after today’s confirmation, might as well go with the Prime? I’m in the market for a 1440p monitor (considering return value on the prime vs focus) and I’ll be selling the current 750 no matter.

since I will have 3 PSU’s in possession, any Specific tests I should try to see how the prime compares to the focus? Is it GPU-Z where I can see my power draw breakdown - cpu, gpu, total system?

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
since I will have 3 PSU’s in possession, any Specific tests I should try to see how the prime compares to the focus? Is it GPU-Z where I can see my power draw breakdown - cpu, gpu, total system?
I usually use HWiNFO64, but it isn't really a average power draw that matters but transient power draw spikes which you wouldn't see in software. Just the fact that they do work or don't work with RTX3080, stock GPU settings and OC'd, stock PSU cables and your custom ones without 12V v-sense, will be enough.

Reactions: trofeer
One thing to remember is that these worst case, peak draw scenarios are never realized in 99.99% of general computing/gaming. For even the most demanding AAA game I doubt the GPU and CPU would need more than 70% of those 'peak' numbers, consistently. Another thing to note is that many good, name brand PSUs have some room for a spike above their wattage rating.

On the flip side, PSUs are happiest at about 40-60% draw and, to get the max life out of them, you really don't want to run them at above 85% draw, constantly.

All in all, you'd probably be fine with an RM750x but if you have the funds and want to have some more wattage room go for an 850.

Solution

trofeer

Commendable
Apr 3, 2021

Yes gaming and streaming is my primary use. Workload wise, occasional CAD work or a rendering via Revit. I have the 850W coming and will more than likely go with that for the headroom as you stated - I’m eager to see what my average draw is with my daily tasks now, wish I checked before I sent my 2070S FTW3 Ultra back.

im going to look at undervolting too. I have a hunch MCE is on auto/default but was told I can tweak or even do a minor OC and it’ll help with any worry on temps too while giving me a bump in performance

I’ll be honest, since I was watching PSU’s disappear in front of my eyes earlier this week - I snagged an 850W PRIME and a FOCUS platinum. Dumb, impulsive I know. Would just hate to have new card and be down for weeks if something happened. I was planning on keeping the 850 Focus but after today’s confirmation, might as well go with the Prime? I’m in the market for a 1440p monitor (considering return value on the prime vs focus) and I’ll be selling the current 750 no matter.

Nice, now you can test the PC while running Prime 95 + Furmark and see if your Prime shut downs.

trofeer

Commendable
Apr 3, 2021
Here we go. In terms of testing, just monitor HWMonitor doing my heaviest workloads or running prime95 and just cross fingers? A complete shutdown (not a restart) would signal a PSU issue correct? If all is good, any benefit or reason to undervolt the GPU?
MwlWvgb.jpg