Question Intel 11400 / UHD730 iGPU - - - overclocking causing instability ?

NightShade_7

Reputable
Nov 11, 2019
I recently upgraded to an i5-11400 on an Asus Prime H510M-E board and a CoolerMaster MWE Bronze V2 550W 230V PSU, no dGPU yet cos of the current market so thought I'd try to get some more out of my little Intel UHD730 iGPU.

First I overclocked my RAM (Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16) as far as 2933MHz with 14-17-17-36 with 2T command rate. I never manually set the RAM's voltage and it was at 1.5V when I noticed it later. A.P.E was on by default, and I manually set the CPU and GPU Load Line Calibration to
Level 4: Recommended for overclocking (what it said in BIOS).
. I didnt stress test the system and straight up launched games like Elite: Dangerous and Remnant: From The Ashes. In both games, my PC just reset (went black and fast booted back up) after a couple minutes of play. I was scared so I turned A.P.E off and set the RAM's voltage to 1.35V, and manually set the CPU's voltage to 0.835V . Now I could play without any crashes for half a day.
Edit: I didn't mention temps because its a new PC, but at worst i got 65C on the stock cooler before lowering voltages.

I want to know how to find which exactly is the culprit here. Was it APE? or did I go ape with my settings? I know this is a H510 board with a 4 layer PCB so it won't even accept a 3200MHz overclock, but is it really the mb at fault here? Is my PSU failing to deliver on just the i5's load? Another factor for consideration is that we sometimes have voltage drops in my place, not straight up power outages so the UPS doesnt always kick in. Planning to get a stabilizer just in case.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
It's good practice to parse your specs to your build, like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

is this the ram kit you're working with? If so, 1.35v is for 3200MHz, you can get away with the same timings for 3200MHz while on 1.3v at 2933MHz. Speaking of temps, might want to look into an aftermarket cooler. Case airflow in your chassis?

I didnt stress test the system and straight up launched games like Elite: Dangerous and Remnant: From The Ashes.
Thumb rule with overclocking, is that you make sure your airflow is optimal or better than optimal, then you make sure that you've stress tested it, without firing up a game. You fire up a game after you stress tests don't reveal ay issues.

no dGPU yet cos of the current market so thought I'd try to get some more out of my little Intel UHD730 iGPU.
+
I know this is a H510 board with a 4 layer PCB so it won't even accept a 3200MHz overclock, but is it really the mb at fault here?

It's an H510 chipset board, they tend to be thrown as a bottom of the barrel option for a build which will always be found in office machines.