[SOLVED] Intel 11th Generation Vs 12th Generation Build

sassums

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
I currently have a 2011 Era Desktop and am currently in the process of upgrading. I have an entire 11th generation intel setup sitting in its packaging and I am just curious if its worth it to exchange for 12th generation components.....

Current System

Intel® Desktop Board DP67BG
Intel Core i7-2700k
16GB G-Skill Memory
NVIDIA 560TI or 660TI (Can't recall - not home to look at it)
SATA 128GB SSD
2 TB HDD
Cooler Master Case

Tentative Build:

CORSAIR iCUE 7000X RGB Full-Tower ATX PC Case, Black
ASUS - ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI Socket LGA 1200 USB 3.2
Intel - Core i9-11900K 11th Generation
CORSAIR - iCUE H170i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler With RGB Lighting
CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 128GB (4 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model CMW128GX4M4E3200C16
ASUS - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080TI 12GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Graphics Card - Black (tried my best to get a 3090TI but could only find a 3080TI)
WD - WD_BLACK SN850 2TB Internal PCIe Gen 4 x4 NVMe Gaming Solid State Drive with Heatsink for Desktops
CORSAIR - RMx Series RM1000x 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply - Black
Windows 10

I have all the parts sitting ready to go - but with the release of Intel's 12th Generation it has caused me to pause and debate exchanging the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM to switch to 12th Generation. However obviously those parts are still hard to come by.

Any input would be appreciated

Not doing anything extravagant. I do all FPS games on the Xbox and only do Cities Skylines type games on the Desktop. Although it would be nice to add a capture card in the future to capture from the Xbox (Unless the 3080TI can handle it on its own?)

Solution
Definitely it is
You'd at least have a CPU that would be ready/is acceptable for Windows 11
If you want to stick with Windows 10, you'd have 3 years left till end of life support (i.e. no security updates)

I'd get what you can now given the current circumstance of global chip shortage and just in case the scalper situation worsens. If you keep waiting and thinking about it, you might miss your shot.
Definitely it is
If you want to stick with Windows 10, you'd have 3 years left till end of life support (i.e. no security updates)

I'd get what you can now given the current circumstance of global chip shortage and just in case the scalper situation worsens. If you keep waiting and thinking about it, you might miss your shot.

Solution

sassums

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
That’s kind of what I’m thinking but upgrading the motherboard to the 1700 12th Gen socket means it’ll need new RAM and it would appear no one manufactures 128gb of ram yet lol.
Also all of the above are hard to find. Is my dilemma.

Oh you're aiming for high capacity ram too
Maybe I would buy low capacity modules first (2x8 = 16gb), until 128gb ram is released
Then sell your low capacity ram modules
Sucks but, that's what I did before (when I wanted to upgrade to 128gb of ram).

Also all of the above are hard to find. Is my dilemma.
(Referring to Intel 12th gen CPU, motherboard and DDR5 RAM) - True, I can't say for sure what's the supply and demand situation right now for all of those parts, but usually when its a good release they have some significant demand.

Also when a new generation of RAM is released, it usually is very expensive and starts to drop in price over time, but that takes years to happen.

sassums

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Definitely it is

I was looking at the same motherboard only a 12th generation and it appears it does not. So I’d have to find a comparable model I guess?

Mind if you link said board?
Presumably is it an Asus Z690?
I find it hard to believe it wouldn't support Windows 11.
Intel hasn't released yet a full list of Alder Lake CPUs to be supported, but pretty sure they would all be supported (wouldn't make sense if they didn't).

sassums

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Ah yes I apologize. I was referring to the ASUS - ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING Motherboard does not.
That motherboard also does support DDR4 Memory

https://rog.asus.com/ph/motherboard...-z590-e-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory

You might be getting mixed up about the "D4" I said earlier, but ASUS affixes "D4" on their 12th gen intel series motherboard to indicate DDR4 support.

Example:
ASUS Z690 D4 = Supports DDR4
ASUS Z690 = Supports DDR5, but NOT DDR4 Ram.
Previous gen ASUS motherboards - i.e. ASUS Z590 don't use the D4 affix but they support DDR4.
D4 affix was used by ASUS to help distinguish boards that support in the new generation (Intel 12th gen), because these next gen motherboards can only support one type of memory at a time (Either DDR4 or DDR5, but not both).

I have heard of some board before (but that was from AsRock) where they made sort of a frankenstein board that can support 2 generations of RAM.

sassums

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
That motherboard also does support DDR4 Memory

https://rog.asus.com/ph/motherboard...-z590-e-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory

You might be getting mixed up about the "D4" I said earlier, but ASUS affixes "D4" on their 12th gen intel series motherboard to indicate DDR4 support.

Example:
ASUS Z690 D4 = Supports DDR4
ASUS Z690 = Supports DDR5, but NOT DDR4 Ram.
Previous gen ASUS motherboards - i.e. ASUS Z590 don't use the D4 affix but they support DDR4.
D4 affix was used by ASUS to help distinguish boards that support in the new generation (Intel 12th gen), because these next gen motherboards can only support one type of memory at a time (Either DDR4 or DDR5, but not both).

I have heard of some board before (but that was from AsRock) where they made sort of a frankenstein board that can support 2 generations of RAM.

Sorry getting used to these forums.

The z590 supports DDR4 RAM but not a 12th Gen CPU.

The z690 supports DDR5 Ram but not DDR 4 (and obviously the 12th gen CPU).

Unless I am missing a Z690 ROG STRIX Z690-E Gaming Wifi Board that supports a 12th gen chip and DDR4 memory/

sassums

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
https://www.newegg.com/asus-tuf-gaming-z690-plus-wifi-d4/p/N82E16813119506

Thanks!

But there is my question. If I am upgrading to a Z690 Board I may as well do it correctly and go with a ROG STRIX board. Unless the differences will be negligible?

sassums

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Thanks. So the general consensus is to upgrade from the 11th gen to 12th gen. I’ll have to do some reading but it appears the only difference in the boards discussed here is the one is DDR5 and the other is DDR4?

Last edited:

sassums

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Definitely it is

would you still suggest upgrading the components even if they currently support windows 11?

yes, that's actually a benefit
Windows 11 will be improved over time, undoubtedly
If you're gonna build a PC that can't support Windows 11, you'd be left with Windows 10.
You only have 3 years left till Windows 10 reaches end of life support, after that no security updates. It ends up like being Windows 7, a security risk.
Windows is frequently targeted by ransomware mind you.

Last edited:

sassums

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
yes, that's actually a benefit
Windows 11 will be improved over time, undoubtedly
If you're gonna build a PC that can't support Windows 11, you'd be left with Windows 10.
You only have 3 years left till Windows 10 reaches end of life support, after that no security updates. It ends up like being Windows 7, a security risk.
Windows is frequently targeted by ransomware mind you.

for sure - I just meant if I went with the parts I have currently I could in fact upgrade to windows 11 when the time comes as they are compatible.

with the shortages now I’m just questioning if I’ll be able to acquire everything I need to build it