Question Intel 11xx Cooler question

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
I have two Intel LGA 11xx stock coolers; identical in size. One has a copper slug in the heat sink and one does not. Is there supposed to be a noticeable difference in cooling capability between them? Any one have any idea what the TDP rating is on them?

I've run Cinebench using both coolers with a i5-8400 I'm readying for resale and don't see any difference in temps.

Solution
The one with the copper slug is a better design but the bottom line is that both coolers bundled with their processor will keep it under spec and get the job done. It won't grant you spectacular temps nor is it a quiet solution, that's where aftermarket brands come in.

What motherboard, processor, ram and case are you working with?

Lutfij

Titan
The one with the copper slug is a better design but the bottom line is that both coolers bundled with their processor will keep it under spec and get the job done. It won't grant you spectacular temps nor is it a quiet solution, that's where aftermarket brands come in.

Solution

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017

Asus Q370M-C and Kingston 2x8 GB DDR4 2666 MHz memory.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The key to making those coolers work is by ensuring all 4 pins attach to the motherboard properly. It is easy to get this wrong and end up with poor contact and cooling performance.

This is why I never used those on previous Intel based builds. I would replace with something more securely mounted.

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
The key to making those coolers work is by ensuring all 4 pins attach to the motherboard properly. It is easy to get this wrong and end up with poor contact and cooling performance.

This is why I never used those on previous Intel based builds. I would replace with something more securely mounted.
Understood. But I'm just trying to put together a CPU (i5-8400), motherboard, RAM platform for resale. I just want to install the proper stock cooler, and I don't remember which of these Intel coolers came with that CPU.