Question Intel 12400F intermittent high temps when idle and very strange behaviour - please help if you can

jcsammut

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014
Hi,

I have a very strange problem, which I will outline first and then post some screenshots - so please bear with me.

I have a new PC with the following components:-
  • Intel 12400F with 240mm Apeiron Infinity Fan Liquid Cooler
  • Gigabyte H610M-E
  • Corsair 16gb vengeance
  • Kingston 1tb NVME
  • Asus 4060
  • 600W Bronze PSU
  • Well ventilated case with 3 x 120mm fans + the 2 fans in the CPU radiator
Everything was working fine until a couple of days ago when I purchased and installed FC25 so it may be related, but the behaviour is odd.

I can be playing the game for hours, with no issue, and can then go in to a particular game mode (usually to do with Ultimate team) and all of a sudden the fans start spinning at full speed, and the PC slows down.

When I check the CPU usage it is showing less than 35% but the core CPU temps are all in the high 85c (room temp is 17c) and the PC has good airflow all round. If I exit FC25 the CPU usage drops but the temps remain the same and the fans are still running full speed. The System idle is 99% at this point.

If I reboot the PC, the CPU usage is around 12%, but the temps remain really high and the fans are still going full speed. However, this is when the weird behaviour happens. If I shutdown the PC, and then power it back on immediately, the core CPU temps are below 10c and the fans are basically silent. This behaviour is 100% repeatable - a shutdown clears it until the next time it happens, at some point when playing FC 25.

I have not witnessed the behaviour in any other use case, including playing other games for hours that are more graphically and processor intensive, so it does seem linked to FC 25, but I cannot understand why a reboot does not fix it, but a complete shutdown and immediate reboot does.

In general use the PC can be on for hours with no temp issues whatsoever, so again it does seem to be related to FC 25.

I had wondered if the CPU cooler thermal paste was not applied correctly, but I would expect the temps to remain high after a reboot or shutdown. I have looked at the Intel Temps post, but they don't help with this particular problem.

What can I look out for - or do - when it happens to try and solve the issue? Any diags or monitoring I can run to provide further info?

Failing that, let me know if I can provide any additional info.

Here are the screenshots illustrating the problem:-

High temps after playing FC25 for a random amount of time (fans full speed, system idle process at 99%)
hitemp.png

Hi temps after rebooting PC and not playing any games (fans full speed, system idle process at 99%)
hitempreboot.png

Low temps after shutting down PC and turning on immediately (fans are silent, system idle process at 99%)
lowtemp.png

Lutfij

Titan
Well ventilated case with 3 x 120mm fans + the 2 fans in the CPU radiator
Make and model of your chassis and the orientation of your fans?

600W Bronze PSU
600W is the advertised wattage of the unit while Bronze is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating, what is the make and model of your PSU and it's age?

Gigabyte H610M-E
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

jcsammut

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2014
Thanks for the reply, and apologies for not providing the info upfront:-

Picture below of the PC chassis itself, including fan orientation:
Make: AWD-IT
PC.png

PSU: Singularity 600W PSU 80 PLUS Bronze (AWD-IT), it is about 3 weeks old

Gigabyte H610M-E Bios F28 - there is an F29C that mentions :
  1. Update microcode 0x129 to address sporadic Vcore elevation behavior announced by Intel