News Intel 12th-Gen Rocket Lake Release Date, Specifications, Performance, All We Know

InvalidError

Titan
ES = Engineering Sample, not "early electronic sample"

Given how most execution resources got scaled up by 25-50% in Rocket Lake, it should make up enough ground on IPC gains to offset the loss of two cores and provide better performance than the 10900k in most cases.

Im kinda lost with the names and the numbers, Im really tired could be that (was a long day of work) but is it really 12th gen Rocket Lake?

Did I miss something?, Cause far as I knew it was 11th gen Rocket Lake?

mmmm.... Unless intel is skipping the 11th gen, to not be confused with tiger lake cpus?

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Im kinda lost with the names and the numbers, Im really tired could be that (was a long day of work) but is it really 12th gen Rocket Lake?

mmmm.... Unless intel is skipping the 11th gen, to not be confused with tiger lake cpus?
Yea, it's all gotten terribly confusing since Intel stopped having generational names actually indicate a new generation and their constant delays on 10nm resulting in new "generations" that weren't on their roadmaps.

It looks like Intel is skipping 11th gen on the desktop as Rocket Lake will have 12th gen Xe IGP. Having 12th gen graphics and 11th gen core would make things even more confusing.

Reactions: RodroX

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019

Yes, it appears that 11th gen will be for laptop CPUs only. So desktops will be 12th. I guess the name will be 12900K.

Reactions: Makaveli and RodroX
Yea, it's all gotten terribly confusing since Intel stopped having generational names actually indicate a new generation and their constant delays on 10nm resulting in new "generations" that weren't on their roadmaps.

It looks like Intel is skipping 11th gen on the desktop as Rocket Lake will have 12th gen Xe IGP. Having 12th gen graphics and 11th gen core would make things even more confusing.

Thanks for the clarification!...

So this have nothing to do with Tiger Lake, I see, and I guess it has nothing to do with AMD "skipping" (sort of) the 4xxx desktop naming scheme either.

Then I guess Alder Lake wont be the 12th gen now, so would that be the 13th?, or they may as well start all over again since it will be a new design with their big-small cores chips.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Yes, it appears that 11th gen will be for laptop CPUs only. So desktops will be 12th. I guess the name will be 12900K.
Which is odd, since Rocket Lake is using a backported version of the willow cove architecture that Tiger Lake uses, except it will probably be slower than Tiger Lake due to the compromises that will have to be made backporting it to 14nm. Inferior performance, superior generational number.

InvalidError

Titan
except it will probably be slower than Tiger Lake due to the compromises that will have to be made backporting it to 14nm.
Depends on how you define slower. As far as throughput is concerned, I'm expecting Rocket Lake to be perfectly fine simply due to having 3-4X Tiger Lake's 15-45W power budget for pushing clocks. The only thing it'll definitely be worse than Tiger Lake at will be performance per watt.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Depends on how you define slower. As far as throughput is concerned, I'm expecting Rocket Lake to be perfectly fine simply due to having 3-4X Tiger Lake's 15-45W power budget for pushing clocks. The only thing it'll definitely be worse than Tiger Lake at will be performance per watt.
You really think they aren't going to do any modifications to architecture and just scale it up to 14nm? Sunny Cove cores are 38% bigger than Coffee Lake. We don't know at this point if Willow Cove added any more transistors, but we know it has much larger caches. That's going to be one big 8 core die for a mainstream CPU. What kind of clock speeds do you think they'll be able to get out of that?

InvalidError

Titan
That's going to be one big 8 core die for a mainstream CPU. What kind of clock speeds do you think they'll be able to get out of that?
Engineering samples have been spotted around 5GHz, so I'd expect around 5GHz. Intel has had a lot of time to optimize the heck out of 14nm to the point that its 10nm process is still catching up. If Intel feels comfortable increasing cache sizes, it likely means it has achieved sufficient extra performance out of 14nm to afford to do so with negligible negative effects overall.

chalabam

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2015
I stopped buying many times, because there is no more enough information to make a decision.

Tomshardware used to be a site where I could get the information needed to make an informed purchase, but it is no more.

I have no clue what processor is the best choice today, for laptops, and that's why my Desktop PC is much newer and updated.

QSV

Honorable
Feb 26, 2015
I am so tired of this. I am just going to wait until 10 nm is arriving on desktop and will use either a 8-core Comet Lake or 12 to 16-core Zen 3 (if its really good) until that happens. But if AMD keeps up and delivers a nice Zen 3, I will probably even wait at minimum until 7 nm, before I look at Intel again.