Question Intel 13700k handle 3090?

There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.
If your game is cpu centric, the 13700k may be the limiting factor.
But, trying to overclock new gen processors is mainly fruitless.
If you chip was capable of running faster, it would have been used in a 13900K
Best to let the default turbo mechanism boost a couple of cores past what an all core overclock could do.
Do not be alarmed if it runs near 100c; that is what it is designed to do.

AND!!! Update your motherboard bios asap. Latest fixes mitigate damage caused by excessive voltage.

If your games are fast action, high resolution or heavy on details, the graphics card will be the limiting factor.

I think you have a good balance of cpu/gpu.

Reactions: threebills11

threebills11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.
If your game is cpu centric, the 13700k may be the limiting factor.
But, trying to overclock new gen processors is mainly fruitless.
If you chip was capable of running faster, it would have been used in a 13900K
Best to let the default turbo mechanism boost a couple of cores past what an all core overclock could do.
Do not be alarmed if it runs near 100c; that is what it is designed to do.

AND!!! Update your motherboard bios asap. Latest fixes mitigate damage caused by excessive voltage.

If your games are fast action, high resolution or heavy on details, the graphics card will be the limiting factor.

I think you have a good balance of cpu/gpu.
Thank you for clarifying that.Also I DO get what you mean about not OC'ng all cores and just let the default turbo work when needed,good idea.Also thanks for the reminder to update BIOS,I have been not keeping up to date and see they having a lot of problems with the raptor lake and newer raptor lake that was supposed to fix the problem but didn't.Thank very much for the help!

threebills11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
No, that is about the top end when it comes to CPUs. Depending on the title you might get more FPS out of a Ryzen 7800X3D, but I wouldn't consider even an RTX4090 to be bottlenecked by a 13700K.
wow,didn't realize I could actually run a 4090,was thinking about getting one and a better chip if needed but for the price and my needs I just went with a used 3090,should be plenty.Thanks a lot for the info,that's why I come here.So much incorrect info out there.Thanks again!