News Intel 3rd Generation Optane DC PM Modules 'Crow Pass' Tested

twotwotwo

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I don't think I heard of any use of the first-gen persistent memory modules out in the wild, and Micron wanting out of the manufacturing side of it suggested things didn't look great from that perspective. It'd be exciting to have something out there that's slower but can be made and sold at a cost per GB low enough to make it relevant!

Jul 21, 2022
I have the second gen PMem/Ice Lake in an ESXi host running SQL VMs. For us, the PMem reduces cost by requiring less RAM in a system. You essentially are using PMem for over-provisioning RAM instead of relying on swap. That said in our testing of 1:2 RAM:pMem ratios, the DBAs did not report performance issues and I was able to lower the cost of a system by 10%. In this use case, the performance of the PMem is not critical since it is all cold memory.

Reactions: bit_user

twotwotwo

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I have the second gen PMem/Ice Lake in an ESXi host running SQL VMs. For us, the PMem reduces cost by requiring less RAM in a system. You essentially are using PMem for over-provisioning RAM instead of relying on swap. That said in our testing of 1:2 RAM : PMem ratios, the DBAs did not report performance issues and I was able to lower the cost of a system by 10%. In this use case, the performance of the PMem is not critical since it is all cold memory.

It's neat to hear there are uses of it out there!

Reactions: bit_user