Intel 45nm Tapeout Complete

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
That's my reason for not jumping into this thread with any info.

:D

Hey! Did I just feel a rumbling? Something seismic really down deep below Intel HQ that's gonna explode sooner than anyone thinks? :wink:

Pay up your insurance and hold onto your shorts. With this new (lack of) information, I gotta feeling 2007 may be a far more interesting year than anyone could have imagined! :lol:

That was probably just a fart. Or maybe a little poo.

I am pretty sure you can tell, I was just poking fun at you. Hence, why I quoted your steamy turd comment.

wes

Damn you got to be before me.

Yeah 2007 will be a good year. I can't imagine another launch like Core 2, but who knows? Maybe mainstream cheap quad cores?

No, I'm not gonna be the first who says that this thread is turning to sh!t! :lol:

I was of the opinion that 2007 would be a "fill-out" year where all the lower, boring, dilettante echelons of the ranges are filled-out and not much interesting happens on the high end. But all the "unsubstantiated rumours" of 4GHz Conroes, Killer Penryns, etc. if they can be introduced in that calendar year, could make 2006 tame by comparison!

Personally I couldn't care less if AMD or Intel pwns. The important thing is that the enthusiast/prosumer wins with ever more performance for the buck! As the great sage and avatar of powertools Tim Allen would say: "MORE POWER!" :DUuuuuhhhhhhhhhh???? :p

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
From

Tim Allen Modified PC:

I heard Tim Allen could give my computer more power. What I had was a fairly generic Pentium 4 3.0GHz system. What I have now is, well, I'll let you find an appropriate descriptive word. Using 2 genuine Binford super-cooled 30-ton refrigeration units, super cooled air is blasted over the 80 x 3GHz CPUs overclocked to 58.3GHz. Using a Binford high-rise SDRAM card, 16 x 32GB super CPU clocked FB-DIMMs are added (for a total of 512GB RAM), a hole cut in the top of the case makes room for this tall add-on supercard, complete with 2 Binford high-speed super-cooler fans on each side blowing refrigerated air through them. Using the Binford gigantic 8800/R600 stacker high-rise card, 8 x DX10 cards are added in series for drawing an unprecedented 8x10 to the 83rd power 3D polygons per second. These cards have drip-less dry-ice packs between them. A 400 KW aircraft generator turned by Tim's Hot Rod provides the power. 16 x 4Terabyte SAS Raptors are added to make room for future Vista upgrades. Off the rear of the second Adaptec Binford modified super speed Firewire adapter sits a BluRay 200 disk changer tower. The modem has been replaced with a Binford Satellite Internet Dish capable of downloading at 26 Gigs per second on a clear day. The Monitor has been replaced with a Binford High Definition 120" LED wall TV. Binford's Super 3D Monster Mega Massive Sound Card was added and connected to Tim's personal Stereo System. To save money the floppy drive, keyboard, mouse and pad were not replaced.

:lol:

Now to get back on track...

I've noticed that both AMD and Intel have been quite forthcoming on their "fill-out" plans but other than the occasional whiff of K8L or Penryn, not much of the top end has been discussed. Could it be both manufacturers have some secret biggie topend killer chip about to debut?

Edit: Note that I updated Tim's system a bit... 8)