Intel 4980HQ processor questions

samuka

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
Hi, I'm having some doubts about one specific processor, when I compare to others the numbers are great and very similar to some "high end" and "most known good processor for rendering".

I'm talking about the 4980HQ.

As long as I have a Bootcamped Macbook pro (Mid-2012 - i7 3720QM, 2.6Ghz to 3.3Ghz turbo), and I use mostly for work with 3ds Max + Corona renderer (not Vray) but they use CPU for rendering.

I'd like to compare to some other similar notebooks, but...the 4980HQ (present in the newest Macbook Pro 15 retina, 2.8GHz to 4GHz turbo) was beating all of them in LAPTOP comparisions.

Even comparing with some 4770k or 6700k (not for laptops) the numbers are very close. So, I have 2 questions:

1-Are my comparisions right? I mean, can 4980HQ be strong enough to fight those big guys?

2-Is the 4980HQ really recommended for heavy rendering and processing? (considering notebooks)?

That's my doubts.
Thank you for reading and I would appreciate a feedback from respected geeks from Tom's hardware!

Best regards, samuka.

Solution
1: Your comparisons could be right, while it is true that it can take on those "big boys" it certainly won't beat them if that makes sense. Just by a slight percentage though, the thing about those desktop chips is they can be overclocked which would leave that 4980hq in the dust.

2: As for a laptop, there are not much better options around right now. You do have some really expensive laptops with desktop class CPU's but those are usually aimed towards gamers. And the battery life is probably really crappy as well.

But i don't think it is a good upgrade for you, sure you will gain some performance. But the gap between your current CPU and the 4980HQ is not that big. Definitely not big enough to spend so much money on a new machine.

I...

Sandstorm3000

Honorable
1: Your comparisons could be right, while it is true that it can take on those "big boys" it certainly won't beat them if that makes sense. Just by a slight percentage though, the thing about those desktop chips is they can be overclocked which would leave that 4980hq in the dust.

2: As for a laptop, there are not much better options around right now. You do have some really expensive laptops with desktop class CPU's but those are usually aimed towards gamers. And the battery life is probably really crappy as well.

But i don't think it is a good upgrade for you, sure you will gain some performance. But the gap between your current CPU and the 4980HQ is not that big. Definitely not big enough to spend so much money on a new machine.

I also could give you some advice not to buy a macbook, since they are really really overpriced for what you actually get. But thats personal preference i guess.

Solution