[SOLVED] Intel 4th gen setup dead: will a Ryzen 1600 combo boot with the same Windows 10 setup?

carmik

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Well, my i5-4690k Haswell motherboard has died on me. For the sake of avoiding a huge setup and re-install of all applications, would I be able to boot from the same boot disk if I replace the board/cpu/ram with a Ryzen 5 1600/B350-based board (and assorted DDR4 RAM of course)?

I can find this kind of setup used for around 150 euros, buy a DDR4 8gb stick and sell my own i5-4690k and 8Gb. Not a huge jump in performance I presume, but at least I'll be able to move to a more recent platform...

Solution
Answering my own post, the system booted just fine with a 2600 installed on a msi B450 tomahawk board, using the same boot disk from my previous system. There was a device detection phase and I was brought into windows.
The only quirk is that I could not reactivate my windows 10, even though I both had the license associated with my Microsoft account and the license was a retail one. A quick chat with Microsoft and a remote session with them solved that too!

carmik

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Answering my own post, the system booted just fine with a 2600 installed on a msi B450 tomahawk board, using the same boot disk from my previous system. There was a device detection phase and I was brought into windows.
The only quirk is that I could not reactivate my windows 10, even though I both had the license associated with my Microsoft account and the license was a retail one. A quick chat with Microsoft and a remote session with them solved that too!

Solution

carmik

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Careful, even if the system boots you can suffer stability and/or performance issues. You won’t know until the system has been benchmarked and extensively tested.
Got that at the back of my brain. But so far it works perfectly. Uninstalled the Intel-related stuff and installed the AMD chipset drivers without a hitch. Rock steady after an extensive 12-hour gaming session with various games.